Download a PDF of this service’s bulletin here or follow along below.
Gates of Prayer
Please practice silence and contemplative prayer, as we prepare our hearts to come before the LORD.
Silence is the mother of speech.Brother Thomas Merton
[If you are unsure what to pray, pray this: “Lord Jesus Christ, Light of the world, enlighten me.”]
Gates of Praise
O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his steadfast love endures forever!
Let Israel say, “His steadfast love endures forever.”
Open to me the gates of righteousness, that I may enter through them and give thanks to the LORD.Psalm 118: 1-2, 19-29
This is the gate of the LORD; the righteous shall enter through it.
I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation.
The stone that the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone.
This is the Lord’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.
This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Save us, we beseech you, O LORD! O LORD, we beseech you, give us success!
Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the LORD. We bless you from the house of the LORD.
The LORD is God, and he has given us light. Bind the festal procession with branches, up to the horns of the altar.
You are my God, and I will give thanks to you; you are my God, I will extol you.
O give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.
Welcome and Announcements
The Gate of Peace
*Invocation for Peace
*The Peace of Christ
O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer’s praise,
the glories of my God and King, the triumphs of God’s grace!
Jesus! the name that charms our fears, that bids our sorrows cease,
’tis music in the sinner’s ears, ’tis life and health and peace.
Gates of Offering and Thanksgiving
Scripture Lesson 1
Psalm 31: 9-16 – Chosen by Deacon Laurel Eierman
9. Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am in distress; my eye wastes away from grief, my soul and body also.
10. For my life is spent with sorrow, and my years with sighing; my strength fails because of my misery, and my bones waste away.
11. I am the scorn of all my adversaries, a horror to my neighbors, an object of dread to my acquaintances; those who see me in the street flee from me.
12. I have passed out of mind like one who is dead; I have become like a broken vessel.
13. For I hear the whispering of many– terror all around!– as they scheme together against me, as they plot to take my life.
14. But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, “You are my God.”
15. My times are in your hand; deliver me from the hand of my enemies and persecutors.
16. Let your face shine upon your servant; save me in your steadfast love.
Gates of Prayer
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
The Gate of Proclamation
Scripture Lesson 2
Matthew 21: 1-11
1. When they had come near Jerusalem and had reached Bethphage, at the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two disciples,
2. saying to them, “Go into the village ahead of you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her; untie them and bring them to me.
3. If anyone says anything to you, just say this, ‘The Lord needs them.’ And he will send them immediately.”
4. This took place to fulfill what had been spoken through the prophet, saying,
5. “Tell the daughter of Zion, Look, your king is coming to you, humble, and mounted on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a donkey.”
6. The disciples went and did as Jesus had directed them;
7. they brought the donkey and the colt, and put their cloaks on them, and he sat on them.
8. A very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road, and others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road.
9. The crowds that went ahead of him and that followed were shouting, “Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest heaven!”
10. When he entered Jerusalem, the whole city was in turmoil, asking, “Who is this?”
11. The crowds were saying, “This is the prophet Jesus from Nazareth in Galilee.”
Untriumphantly – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
Gate of Consecration
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
With the continued recommendation from the CDC and local authorities Riverside’s building will remain closed until further notice. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff should you need anything.
While the building is closed, we gather online to worship. We will keep you updated through the newsletter and the website on the status of the building.
The lilies purchased for our planned celebration of Easter next week are being sent to the Armed Forces Retirement Home in NW DC for the veterans who live there and the staff who care for them. We pray that this will bring them some Easter joy.
Visitors– please go here to let us know that you were online with us today.
Pray For: Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Eleanor Troutman; Pamela Maimer’s sister, Monica Thomas; Allen Dobbins Sr., and his wife Nell, Courtney and Allen Jr; Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Annie Abbott; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Pamela Maimer’s mother, Clara Jefferson; Louise Pitts; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe