Download a PDF of this service’s bulletin here or follow along below.
Gates of Prayer
Please practice silence and contemplative prayer, as we prepare our hearts to come before the LORD.
Silence is the mother of speech.Brother Thomas Merton
[If you are unsure what to pray, pray this: “Lord Jesus Christ, Light of the world, enlighten me.”]
Call to Worship
In you, O LORD, I seek refuge; do not let me ever be put to shame; in your righteousness deliver me. Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily. Be a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me. You are indeed my rock and my fortress; for your name’s sake lead me and guide me, take me out of the net that is hidden for me, for you are my refuge. Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God.
My times are in your hand; deliver me from the hand of my enemies and persecutors. Let your face shine upon your servant; save me in your steadfast love.Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16
Welcome and Announcements
The Gate of Peace
*Invocation for Peace
*The Peace of Christ
Praise God from who all blessings flow
Praise him all creatures here below.
Praise him above ye heavenly host
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost
Gates of Offering and Thanksgiving
Scripture Lesson 1
1 Peter 2:2-10 – Selected and read by Deacon Ida Williams Lacewell
2. Like new born babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation,
3. now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.
4. As you come to him, the living Stone – rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him
5. you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
6. For in scripture it says: “See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trust in him will never be put to shame.”
7. Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, the stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,
8. And, “A stone that causes people to stumble and a rock that makes them fall.” They stumble because they disobey the message which is also what they were destined for.
9. But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
10. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
Gates of Prayer
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
The Gate of Proclamation
Scripture Lesson 2
55. But filled with the Holy Spirit, he gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God and Jesus standing at the right hand of God.
56. “Look,” he said, “I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!”
57. But they covered their ears, and with a loud shout all rushed together against him.
58. Then they dragged him out of the city and began to stone him; and the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul.
59. While they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.”
60. Then he knelt down and cried out in a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he died.
Worth Standing For – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
Gate of Consecration
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
With the continued recommendation from the CDC and local authorities Riverside’s building will remain closed until further notice. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff should you need anything.
While the building is closed, we gather online to worship. We will keep you updated through the newsletter and the website on the status of the building.
Every Sunday at 11:00 am we gather online via Zoom to fellowship and pray. Information is available on the website. Please join us!
There will be no Bible Study this Wednesday, May 13. Bible Study will resume on Wednesday May 20 at 6:00 pm. – Bible study on the book of James, led by Rev. Nick via Zoom. Please read chapter 1 of James. Information on joining the meeting on May 20 is available on the website.
Visitors – please go here to let us know that you were online with us today.
Pray For: Our deepest Christian sympathy to Teena Siggers and her family in the loss of her brother, Timothy Paul Siggers; Louise Pitts; Annie Abbott; Brenda Rozier Clark; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Eleanor Troutman; Pamela Maimer’s sister, Monica Thomas; Allen Dobbins Sr., and his wife Nell, Courtney and Allen Jr; Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Pamela Maimer’s mother, Clara Jefferson; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe