Download a PDF of this service’s bulletin here or follow along below.
Gates of Prayer
Please practice silence and contemplative prayer, as we prepare our hearts to come before the LORD.
Silence is the mother of speech.Brother Thomas Merton
[If you are unsure what to pray, pray this: “Lord Jesus Christ, Light of the world, enlighten me.”]
Call to Worship
O LORD, how manifold are your works! In wisdom you have made them all; the earth is full of your creatures.
Yonder is the sea, great and wide, creeping things innumerable are there, living things both small and great.
There go the ships, and Leviathan that you formed to sport in it.
These all look to you to give them their food in due season;
when you give to them, they gather it up; when you open your hand, they are filled with good things.
When you hide your face, they are dismayed; when you take away their breath, they die and return to their dust.
When you send forth your spirit, they are created; and you renew the face of the ground.
May the glory of the LORD endure forever; may the LORD rejoice in his works —
who looks on the earth and it trembles, who touches the mountains and they smoke.
I will sing to the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have being.
May my meditation be pleasing to him, for I rejoice in the LORD.
Bless the LORD, O my soul. Praise the LORD!Psalm 104:24-34, 35b
Welcome and Announcements
The Gate of Peace
*Invocation for Peace
*The Peace of Christ
May God grant us courage to change the things need changing,
the peace to accept the things we cannot change,
and wisdom to know the difference.
Gates of Offering and Thanksgiving
Scripture Lesson 1
Romans 12:9-16b – Selected and read by Deacon Vincent Haskell
- Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.
- Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.
- Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.
- Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
- Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
- Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
- Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.
- Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
Gates of Prayer
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
The Gate of Proclamation
Scripture Lesson 2
1 Corinthians 12:3b-13
- b) No one can say “Jesus is Lord” except by the Holy Spirit.
- Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit;
- and there are varieties of services, but the same Lord;
- and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who activates all of them in everyone.
- To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
- To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit,
- to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
- to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the discernment of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
- All these are activated by one and the same Spirit, who allots to each one individually just as the Spirit chooses.
- For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ.
- For in the one Spirit we were all baptized into one body — Jews or Greeks, slaves or free — and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.
A Broken Body? – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
Gate of Consecration
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
With the continued recommendation from the CDC and local authorities Riverside’s building will remain closed until further notice. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff should you need anything.
While the building is closed, we gather online to worship. We will keep you updated through the newsletter and the website on the status of the building.
Every Sunday at 11:00 am we gather online via Zoom to fellowship and pray. Information is available on the website. Please join us!
Bible Study will resume this Wednesday, June 3 at 6:00 pm, with the book of James, led by Rev. Nick via Zoom. Please read chapter 1 of James. Information on joining the meeting is available on the website.
Visitors – please go here to let us know that you were online with us today.
Pray For: Our prayers and our deepest Christian sympathy go to Rev. Mumejian and his family in the passing of his brother; Annie Abbott; Brenda Rozier Clark; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Eleanor Troutman; Pamela Maimer’s sister, Monica Thomas; Allen Dobbins Sr., his wife Nell, and their children, Courtney and Allen Jr; Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Pamela Maimer’s mother, Clara Jefferson; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe