Download a PDF of this service’s bulletin here or follow along below.
Gates of Prayer
Please practice silence and contemplative prayer, as we prepare our hearts to come before the LORD.
Silence is the mother of speech.Brother Thomas Merton
[If you are unsure what to pray, pray this: “Lord Jesus Christ, Light of the world, enlighten me.”]
Call to Worship
Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel, and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts:Isaiah 44:6-8
I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god.
Who is like me? Let them proclaim it, let them declare and set it forth before me.
Who has announced from of old the things to come? Let them tell us what is yet to be.
Do not fear, or be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? You are my witnesses! Is there any god besides me? There is no other rock; I know not one.
Welcome and Announcements
The Gate of Peace
*Invocation for Peace
*The Peace of Christ
May God grant us courage to change the things need changing,
the peace to accept the things we cannot change,
and wisdom to know the difference.
Gates of Offering and Thanksgiving
Scripture Lesson 1
Psalm 139:1-12, 23-24 – Selected and read by Deacon Ida Williams Lacewell
- You have searched me, Lord, and you know me.
- You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
- You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
- Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely.
- You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.
- Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
- Where can I go from your spirit? What can I flee from your presence?
- If I go up to the heavens, you are there; and if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
- If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,
- even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.
- If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,”
- even the darkness would not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.
- Search me, God and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
- See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Gates of Prayer
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
The Gate of Proclamation
Scripture Lesson 2
Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43
- He put before them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to someone who sowed good seed in his field;
- but while everybody was asleep, an enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and then went away.
- So when the plants came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared as well.
- And the slaves of the householder came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow good seed in your field? Where, then, did these weeds come from?’
- He answered, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The slaves said to him, ‘Then do you want us to go and gather them?’
- But he replied, ‘No; for in gathering the weeds you would uproot the wheat along with them.
- Let both of them grow together until the harvest; and at harvest time I will tell the reapers, Collect the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my barn.'”
- Then he left the crowds and went into the house. And his disciples approached him, saying, “Explain to us the parable of the weeds of the field.”
- He answered, “The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man;
- the field is the world, and the good seed are the children of the kingdom; the weeds are the children of the evil one,
- and the enemy who sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are angels.
- Just as the weeds are collected and burned up with fire, so will it be at the end of the age.
- The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will collect out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all evildoers,
- and they will throw them into the furnace of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
- Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Let anyone with ears listen!
The Good, the Bad, and the Holy – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
Gate of Consecration
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
With the continued recommendation from the CDC and local authorities Riverside’s building will remain closed until further notice. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff should you need anything.
While the building is closed, we gather online to worship. We will keep you updated through the newsletter and the website on the status of the building.
Every Sunday at 11:00 am we gather online via Zoom to fellowship and pray. Information is available on the website. Please join us!
Friday, July 24 at 7:00 pm – Riverside Social Events Team (RiSET) invites you to join in a new series of virtual conversations, Safe Space Chat. Themes for the series include Justice, Antiracism, and Living Together. Information is available here on the website calendar. Please let Jonathan know you plan to attend by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Visitors – please go here to let us know that you were online with us today.
Pray For: Our Christian sympathy to Freda White’s extended family in the passing of her cousin, Bonita Tillman; our Christian sympathy to Annie Abbot in the passing of her cousin, Constance Jones; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Brenda Rozier Clark; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Eleanor Troutman; Pamela Maimer’s sister, Monica Thomas; Allen Dobbins Sr., and his wife Nell, Courtney and Allen Jr; Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Pamela Maimer’s mother, Clara Jefferson; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe