Download a PDF of this service’s bulletin here or follow along below.
Gates of Prayer
Please practice silence and contemplative prayer, as we prepare our hearts to come before the LORD.
Silence is the mother of speech.Brother Thomas Merton
[If you are unsure what to pray, pray this: “Lord Jesus Christ, Light of the world, enlighten me.”]
Call to Worship
O give thanks to the Lord, call on his name, make known his deeds among the peoples. Sing to him, sing praises to him; tell of all his wonderful works.
Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice.
Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually.
Remember the wonderful works he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he uttered, O offspring of his servant Abraham, children of Jacob, his chosen ones.
Then Israel came to Egypt; Jacob lived as an alien in the land of Ham.
And the Lord made his people very fruitful, and made them stronger than their foes, whose hearts he then turned to hate his people, to deal craftily with his servants.
He sent his servant Moses, and Aaron whom he had chosen.
Praise the Lord!Psalm 105:1-6, 23-26, 45b
Welcome and Announcements
The Gate of Peace
*Invocation for Peace
*The Peace of Christ
May God grant us courage to change the things need changing,
the peace to accept the things we cannot change,
and wisdom to know the difference.
Gates of Offering and Thanksgiving
Scripture Lesson 1
Romans 12:9-21 – Selected and read by Deacon Ida Williams Lacewell
- Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good;
- Love one another with mutual affection; outdo one another in showing honor.
- Do not lag in zeal, be ardent in spirit, serve the Lord.
- Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer.
- Contribute to the needs of the saints; extend hospitality to strangers.
- Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them.
- Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.
- Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly; do not claim to be wiser than you are.
- Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.
- If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.
- Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave room for the wrath of God; for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”
- No, “if your enemies are hungry, feed them; if they are thirsty, give them something to drink; for by doing this you will heap burning coals on their heads.”
- Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Gates of Prayer
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
The Gate of Proclamation
Scripture Lesson 2
- O Lord, you know; remember me and visit me, and bring down retribution for me on my persecutors. In your forbearance do not take me away; know that on your account I suffer insult.
- Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart; for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts.
- I did not sit in the company of merrymakers, nor did I rejoice; under the weight of your hand I sat alone, for you had filled me with indignation.
- Why is my pain unceasing, my wound incurable, refusing to be healed? Truly, you are to me like a deceitful brook, like waters that fail.
- Therefore thus says the Lord: If you turn back, I will take you back, and you shall stand before me. If you utter what is precious, and not what is worthless, you shall serve as my mouth. It is they who will turn to you, not you who will turn to them.
- And I will make you to this people a fortified wall of bronze; they will fight against you, but they shall not prevail over you, for I am with you to save you and deliver you, says the Lord.
- I will deliver you out of the hand of the wicked, and redeem you from the grasp of the ruthless.
A Fountain for False Water – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
Gate of Consecration
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
With the continued recommendation from the CDC and local authorities Riverside’s building will remain closed until further notice. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff should you need anything.
Visitors – please go here to let us know that you were online with us today.
While the building is closed, we gather online to worship. We will keep you updated through the newsletter and the website on the status of the building.
Every Sunday at 11:00 am we gather online via Zoom to fellowship and pray. Information is available on the website. Please join us!
Bible Study resumes Wednesday, September 9, at 6:30 pm with the book of Luke. Information on joining the meeting is available on the website.
Pray For: Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Brenda Rozier Clark and the family of Rev. Paul Clark; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Eleanor Troutman; Pamela Maimer’s sister, Monica Thomas; Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Pamela Maimer’s mother, Clara Jefferson; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe