Download a PDF of this service’s bulletin here or follow along below.
Gates of Prayer
Please practice silence and contemplative prayer, as we prepare our hearts to come before the LORD.
Silence is the mother of speech.Brother Thomas Merton
[If you are unsure what to pray, pray this: “Lord Jesus Christ, Light of the world, enlighten me.”]
Call to Worship
Praise the Lord! Sing to the Lord a new song, his praise in the assembly of the faithful. Let Israel be glad in its Maker; let the children of Zion rejoice in their King.Psalm 149
Let them praise his name with dancing, making melody to him with tambourine and lyre. For the Lord takes pleasure in his people; he adorns the humble with victory.
Let the faithful exult in glory; let them sing for joy on their couches.
Let the high praises of God be in their throats and two-edged swords in their hands,
to execute vengeance on the nations and punishment on the peoples,
to bind their kings with fetters and their nobles with chains of iron,
to execute on them the judgment decreed. This is glory for all his faithful ones. Praise the Lord!
Welcome and Announcements
The Gate of Peace
*Invocation for Peace
*The Peace of Christ
May God grant us courage to change the things need changing,
the peace to accept the things we cannot change,
and wisdom to know the difference.
Gates of Offering and Thanksgiving
Scripture Lesson 1
Psalm 119:33-40 – Selected and read by Deacon Jonathan J. Holley
- Teach me, O LORD, the way of your statutes, and I will observe it to the end.
- Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart.
- Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it.
- Turn my heart to your decrees, and not to selfish gain.
- Turn my eyes from looking at vanities; give me life in your ways.
- Confirm to your servant your promise, which is for those who fear you.
- Turn away the disgrace that I dread, for your ordinances are good.
- See, I have longed for your precepts; in your righteousness give me life.
Gates of Prayer
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
The Gate of Proclamation
Scripture Lesson 2
- “If another member of the church sins against you, go and point out the fault when the two of you are alone. If the member listens to you, you have regained that one.
- But if you are not listened to, take one or two others along with you, so that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses.
- If the member refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if the offender refuses to listen even to the church, let such a one be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.
- Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.
- Again, truly I tell you, if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.
- For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.”
A Community that Listens – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
Gate of Consecration
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
With the continued recommendation from the CDC and local authorities Riverside’s building will remain closed until further notice. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff should you need anything.
Visitors – please go here to let us know that you were online with us today.
While the building is closed, we gather online to worship. We will keep you updated through the newsletter and the website on the status of the building.
Every Sunday at 11:00 am we gather online via Zoom to fellowship and pray. Information is available on the website. Today, September 6, and next Sunday, we will celebrate virtual communion at the conclusion of the prayer meeting. Bring some bread or a cracker and some wine or juice to your table. Please join us!
Bible Study resumes this Wednesday, September 9 at 6:30 pm with the book of Luke, via Zoom. Information on joining the meeting is available on the website.
Pray For: Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Brenda Rozier Clark and the family of Rev. Paul Clark; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Eleanor Troutman; Pamela Maimer’s sister, Monica Thomas Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Pamela Maimer’s mother, Clara Jefferson; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe