Download a PDF of this service’s bulletin here or follow along below.
Gates of Prayer
Please practice silence and contemplative prayer, as we prepare our hearts to come before the LORD.
Silence is the mother of speech.Brother Thomas Merton
[If you are unsure what to pray, pray this: “Lord Jesus Christ, Light of the world, enlighten me.”]
Call to Worship
O sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth.Psalm 96:1-13
Sing to the Lord, bless his name; tell of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples.
For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; he is to be revered above all gods.
For all the gods of the peoples are idols, but the Lord made the heavens.
Honor and majesty are before him; strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.
Ascribe to the Lord, O families of the peoples, ascribe to the Lord glory and strength. Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name; bring an offering, and come into his courts. Worship the Lord in holy splendor; tremble before him, all the earth.
Say among the nations, “The Lord is king! The world is firmly established; it shall never be moved. He will judge the peoples with equity.”
Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice; let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
let the field exult, and everything in it. Then shall all the trees of the forest sing for joy
before the Lord; for he is coming, for he is coming to judge the earth. He will judge the world with righteousness, and the peoples with his truth.
Welcome and Announcements
The Gate of Peace
Invocation for Peace
The Peace of Christ
May God grant us courage to change the things need changing,
the peace to accept the things we cannot change,
and wisdom to know the difference.
Gates of Offering and Thanksgiving
Scripture Lesson 1
2 Corinthians 9:6-15 – Selected and Read by Deacon Ida Williams Lacewell
- The point is this: the one who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and the one who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
- Each of you must give as you have made up your mind, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
- And God is able to provide you with every blessing in abundance, so that by always having enough of everything, you may share abundantly in every good work.
- As it is written, “He scatters abroad, he gives to the poor; his righteousness endures forever.”
- He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness.
- You will be enriched in every way for your great generosity, which will produce thanksgiving to God through us;
- for the rendering of this ministry not only supplies the needs of the saints but also overflows with many thanksgivings to God.
- Through the testing of this ministry you glorify God by your obedience to the confession of the gospel of Christ and by the generosity of your sharing with them and with all others,
- while they long for you and pray for you because of the surpassing grace of God that he has given you.
- Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!
Gates of Prayer
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
The Gate of Proclamation
Scripture Lesson 2
- Then the Pharisees went and plotted to entrap him in what he said.
- So they sent their disciples to him, along with the Herodians, saying, “Teacher, we know that you are sincere, and teach the way of God in accordance with truth, and show deference to no one; for you do not regard people with partiality.
- Tell us, then, what you think. Is it lawful to pay taxes to the emperor, or not?”
- But Jesus, aware of their malice, said, “Why are you putting me to the test, you hypocrites?
- Show me the coin used for the tax.” And they brought him a denarius.
- Then he said to them, “Whose head is this, and whose title?”
- They answered, “The emperor’s.” Then he said to them, “Give therefore to the emperor the things that are the emperor’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”
- When they heard this, they were amazed; and they left him and went away.
Death, Taxes, and Pizza – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
Gate of Consecration
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
With the continued recommendation from the CDC and local authorities Riverside’s building will remain closed until further notice. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff should you need anything.
Visitors – please go here to let us know that you were online with us today.
While the building is closed, we gather online to worship. We will keep you updated through the newsletter and the website on the status of the building.
Every Sunday at 11:00 am we gather online via Zoom to fellowship and pray. Information is available on the website. Please join us!
Bible Study continues on Wednesdays at 6:30 pm via Zoom. We are studying the book of Luke. For information and to join the Zoom session, visit the Online Community Services page here.
Riverside Social Events Team (RiSET) invites you to join in a series of virtual conversations, Safe Space Chat, this Friday, October 23 at 6:00 pm. The discussion will center on the topic of LGBTQIA soul care. Our guest will be Mr. Derrick “Strawberry” Cox. He is the 2019 Charlotte Smallwood Volunteer of the Year award winner. A dancer, model, actor, and advocate for HIV awareness education, preventative health, and Gay and Lesbian civil rights and liberties, Mr. Cox will bring a positive perspective to our topic. Please e-mail Jonathan to RSVP for this fantastic discussion!
Pray For: We extend our deepest Christian sympathy to Jonathan Holley in the loss of his father, Lawrence Holley, Jr.; Mattie Sharpless’s mother, Lecola Sharpless; Danielle Ford and Laurel Eierman; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Brenda Rozier-Clark and the family of Rev. Paul Clark; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Eleanor Troutman; Pamela Maimer’s sister, Monica Thomas and mother, Clara Jefferson; Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe