Download a PDF of this service’s bulletin here or follow along below.
Gates of Prayer
Please practice silence and contemplative prayer, as we prepare our hearts to come before the LORD.
Silence is the mother of speech.Brother Thomas Merton
[If you are unsure what to pray, pray this: “Lord Jesus Christ, Light of the world, enlighten me.”]
Call to Worship
Wisdom is radiant and unfading, and she is easily discerned by those who love her, and is found by those who seek her.Wisdom of Solomon 6:12-16
She hastens to make herself known to those who desire her.
One who rises early to seek her will have no difficulty, for she will be found sitting at the gate.
To fix one’s thought on her is perfect understanding, and one who is vigilant on her account will soon be free from care, because she goes about seeking those worthy of her, and she graciously appears to them in their paths, and meets them in every thought.
Welcome and Announcements
The Gate of Peace
Invocation for Peace
The Peace of Christ
May God grant us courage to change the things need changing,
the peace to accept the things we cannot change,
and wisdom to know the difference.
Gates of Offering and Thanksgiving
Scripture Lesson 1
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 – Selected and read by Deacon Lillie S. Ransom
- But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about those who have died, so that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope.
- For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have died.
- For this we declare to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will by no means precede those who have died.
- For the Lord himself, with a cry of command, with the archangel’s call and with the sound of God’s trumpet, will descend from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
- Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up in the clouds together with them to meet the Lord in the air; and so we will be with the Lord forever.
- Therefore encourage one another with these words.
Gates of Prayer
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
The Gate of Proclamation
Scripture Lesson 2
Joshua 24:1-3a, 14-25
- Then Joshua gathered all the tribes of Israel to Shechem, and summoned the elders, the heads, the judges, and the officers of Israel; and they presented themselves before God.
- And Joshua said to all the people, “Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: Long ago your ancestors–Terah and his sons Abraham and Nahor–lived beyond the Euphrates and served other gods.
- a. Then I took your father Abraham from beyond the River and led him through all the land of Canaan and made his offspring many.
- “Now therefore revere the Lord, and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness; put away the gods that your ancestors served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord.
- Now if you are unwilling to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served in the region beyond the River or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”
- Then the people answered, “Far be it from us that we should forsake the Lord to serve other gods;
- for it is the Lord our God who brought us and our ancestors up from the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery, and who did those great signs in our sight. He protected us along all the way that we went, and among all the peoples through whom we passed;
- and the Lord drove out before us all the peoples, the Amorites who lived in the land. Therefore we also will serve the Lord, for he is our God.”
- But Joshua said to the people, “You cannot serve the Lord, for he is a holy God. He is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions or your sins.
- If you forsake the Lord and serve foreign gods, then he will turn and do you harm, and consume you, after having done you good.”
- And the people said to Joshua, “No, we will serve the Lord!”
- Then Joshua said to the people, “You are witnesses against yourselves that you have chosen the Lord, to serve him.” And they said, “We are witnesses.”
- He said, “Then put away the foreign gods that are among you, and incline your hearts to the Lord, the God of Israel.”
- The people said to Joshua, “The Lord our God we will serve, and him we will obey.”
- So Joshua made a covenant with the people that day, and made statutes and ordinances for them at Shechem.
Gotta Serve Somebody – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
Gate of Consecration
Go out and be aware of God’s love in the world.
May you be aware of God’s flickering light leading the way.
May you experience grace upon grace in your coming and going, in your rising up and your laying down, in your labor and in your leisure, in your laughter and in your tears…
May you feel God’s love surround you with its shining light.
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
With the continued recommendation from the CDC and local authorities Riverside’s building will remain closed until further notice. While the building is closed, we gather online to worship. We will keep you updated through the newsletter and the website on the status of the building. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff should you need anything.
Visitors – please go here to let us know that you were online with us today.
We welcome Rev. Nick Mumejian back to the pulpit, and hope that he had a good week off.
Every Sunday at 11:00 am we gather online via Zoom to fellowship and pray. Information is available on the website. Today, November 8, we will celebrate virtual communion together at the end of the prayer meeting. Bring the elements to your table so that we can all join together around the Lord’s Table. Please join us!
Bible Study will resume this Wednesday, November 11th at 6:30 pm, via Zoom. We continue to study the book of Luke.
Pray For: Mattie Sharpless’s mother, Lecola Sharpless; Danielle Ford’s aunt, Connie Jasper; Danielle Ford and Laurel Eierman; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Brenda Rozier-Clark and the family of Rev. Paul Clark; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Pamela Maimer’s sister, Monica Thomas and mother, Clara Jefferson; Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe