Download a PDF of this service’s bulletin here or follow along below.
Call to Worship
Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth.Psalm 100
Worship the LORD with gladness; come into his presence with singing.
Know that the LORD is God. It is he that made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise. Give thanks to him, bless his name.
For the LORD is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.
Welcome and Announcements
Invocation for Peace
The Peace of Christ
May God grant us courage to change the things need changing,
the peace to accept the things we cannot change,
and wisdom to know the difference.
Scripture Lesson 1
Ezekiel 34:11-16, 20-24 – Selected and read by Deacon LeRoy Potts
- For thus says the Lord God: I myself will search for my sheep, and will seek them out.
- As shepherds seek out their flocks when they are among their scattered sheep, so I will seek out my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places to which they have been scattered on a day of clouds and thick darkness.
- I will bring them out from the peoples and gather them from the countries, and will bring them into their own land; and I will feed them on the mountains of Israel, by the watercourses, and in all the inhabited parts of the land.
- I will feed them with good pasture, and the mountain heights of Israel shall be their pasture; there they shall lie down in good grazing land, and they shall feed on rich pasture on the mountains of Israel.
- I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep, and I will make them lie down, says the Lord God.
- I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the weak, but the fat and the strong I will destroy. I will feed them with justice.
- Therefore, thus says the Lord God to them: I myself will judge between the fat sheep and the lean sheep.
- Because you pushed with flank and shoulder, and butted at all the weak animals with your horns until you scattered them far and wide,
- I will save my flock, and they shall no longer be ravaged; and I will judge between sheep and sheep.
- I will set up over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he shall feed them: he shall feed them and be their shepherd.
- And I, the Lord, will be their God, and my servant David shall be prince among them; I, the Lord, have spoken.
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
Scripture Lesson 2
- “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory.
- All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats,
- and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left.
- Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;
- for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,
- I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’
- Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink?
- And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing?
- And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’
- And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.’
- Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels;
- for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink,
- I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’
- Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?’
- Then he will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’
- And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
What have you done? – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
With the continued recommendation from the CDC and local authorities Riverside’s building will remain closed until further notice. While the building is closed, we gather online to worship. We will keep you updated through the newsletter and the website on the status of the building. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff should you need anything.
Visitors – please go here to let us know that you were online with us today.
Every Sunday at 11:00 am we gather online via Zoom to fellowship and pray. Information is available on the website. Please join us!
Bible Study will be on break until January, when we will begin with topical/thematic studies. The first study in January will examine if there is a Biblical justification for universal salvation.
The first Sunday of Advent is next Sunday, November 29.
We will decorate the church for Advent and Christmas on Saturday, November 28 starting at 1:00 pm. Please let the church office know if you are coming, so that we can schedule folks for shifts if we have more interest than capacity! Masks and distancing will be necessary. There will be light refreshments. For more information, please contact Jonathan Holley at email@example.com. Hope to see you here!
Toys for Tots – The SW CommUnity Forum, in cooperation with the SW churches, is organizing a Toys for Tots distribution at Westminster Presbyterian Church on December 12. We are looking for folks to help unload the truck of toys at Westminster on December 11, and to assist with hospitality at the distribution of toys at Westminster on December 12. Times are yet to be determined. We are also looking for donations, especially of gift cards for teenagers. Please have donations of gift cards or cash to the Riverside church office by December 7 so that we can ensure they are at Westminster in time for the distribution. Contact the church office for more information, to volunteer, or to donate.
On Christmas Eve at 7:00 pm, we will have a live service of lessons and carols via Zoom. Details will be available on the website as we get closer.
Pray For: Mattie Sharpless’s mother, Lecola Sharpless; Danielle Ford’s aunt, Connie Jasper; Danielle Ford and Laurel Eierman; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Brenda Rozier-Clark and the family of Rev. Paul Clark; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Pamela Maimer’s sister, Monica Thomas and mother, Clara Jefferson; Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe