Download a PDF of this service’s bulletin here or follow along below.
Call to Worship
Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord from the heavens; praise him in the heights!Psalm 148
Praise him, all his angels; praise him, all his host!
Praise him, sun and moon; praise him, all you shining stars!
Praise him, you highest heavens, and you waters above the heavens!
Let them praise the name of the Lord, for he commanded and they were created.
He established them forever and ever; he fixed their bounds, which cannot be passed.
Praise the Lord from the earth, you sea monsters and all deeps,
fire and hail, snow and frost, stormy wind fulfilling his command!
Mountains and all hills, fruit trees and all cedars! Wild animals and all cattle, creeping things and flying birds!
Kings of the earth and all peoples, princes and all rulers of the earth! Young men and women alike, old and young together! Let them praise the name of the Lord, for his name alone is exalted; his glory is above earth and heaven.
He has raised up a horn for his people, praise for all his faithful, for the people of Israel who are close to him. Praise the Lord!
Welcome and Announcements
The Peace of Christ
May God grant us courage to change the things need changing,
the peace to accept the things we cannot change,
and wisdom to know the difference.
Scripture Lesson 1
- But when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law,
- in order to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as children.
- And because you are children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!”
- So you are no longer a slave but a child, and if a child then also an heir, through God.
Scripture Lesson 2
Isaiah 61:10-62:3 – Selected and read by Deacon Ida Williams Lacewell
- I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my whole being shall exult in my God; for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation, he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself with a garland, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
- For as the earth brings forth its shoots, and as a garden causes what is sown in it to spring up, so the Lord God will cause righteousness and praise to spring up before all the nations.
- For Zion’s sake I will not keep silent, and for Jerusalem’s sake I will not rest, until her vindication shines out like the dawn, and her salvation like a burning torch.
- The nations shall see your vindication, and all the kings your glory; and you shall be called by a new name that the mouth of the Lord will give.
- You shall be a crown of beauty in the hand of the Lord, and a royal diadem in the hand of your God.
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
- In those days a decree went out from Emperor Augustus that all the world should be registered.
- This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria.
- All went to their own towns to be registered.
- Joseph also went from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to the city of David called Bethlehem, because he was descended from the house and family of David.
- He went to be registered with Mary, to whom he was engaged and who was expecting a child.
- While they were there, the time came for her to deliver her child.
- And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in bands of cloth, and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.
- In that region there were shepherds living in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night.
- Then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.
- But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid; for see–I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people:
- to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is the Messiah, the Lord.
- This will be a sign for you: you will find a child wrapped in bands of cloth and lying in a manger.”
- And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God and saying,
- “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace among those whom he favors!”
- When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let us go now to Bethlehem and see this thing that has taken place, which the Lord has made known to us.”
- So they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the child lying in the manger.
- When they saw this, they made known what had been told them about this child;
- and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds told them.
- But Mary treasured all these words and pondered them in her heart.
- The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them.
Disarming – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
With the continued recommendation from the CDC and local authorities Riverside’s building will remain closed until further notice. While the building is closed, we gather online to worship. We will keep you updated through the newsletter and the website on the status of the building. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff should you need anything.
Visitors – please go here to let us know that you were online with us today.
Every Sunday at 11:00 am we gather online via Zoom to fellowship and pray. Information is available on the website. Please join us!
Bible Study is on break until January.
Today is the first Sunday of Christmas!
Thanks to everyone who made Christmas Eve special –it was so nice to be able to be together on Zoom.
As the end of the year approaches, please make sure that the church office has your current contact information. We will be sending out 2020 giving receipts soon.
We extend our deepest Christian sympathy to Lynda Gyles and Lydia Young in the passing of their sister, Lil.
Pray For: Lynda Gyles and family; Danielle Ford’s aunt, Connie Jasper; Danielle Ford and Laurel Eierman; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Brenda Rozier-Clark and the family of Rev. Paul Clark; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Pamela Maimer’s sister, Monica Thomas and mother, Clara Jefferson; Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe