Download a PDF of this service’s bulletin here or follow along below.
Call to Worship
In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth,Genesis 1:1-5
the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.
And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness.
God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.
Welcome and Announcements
The Peace of Christ
May God grant us the courage to change the things need changing,
the peace to accept the things we cannot change,
and wisdom to know the difference.
Scripture Lesson 1
- This is the reason that I Paul am a prisoner for Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles–
- for surely you have already heard of the commission of God’s grace that was given me for you,
- and how the mystery was made known to me by revelation, as I wrote above in a few words,
- a reading of which will enable you to perceive my understanding of the mystery of Christ.
- In former generations this mystery was not made known to humankind, as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit:
- that is, the Gentiles have become fellow heirs, members of the same body, and sharers in the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.
- Of this gospel I have become a servant according to the gift of God’s grace that was given me by the working of his power.
- Although I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given to me to bring to the Gentiles the news of the boundless riches of Christ,
- and to make everyone see what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things;
- so that through the church the wisdom of God in its rich variety might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places.
- This was in accordance with the eternal purpose that he has carried out in Christ Jesus our Lord,
- in whom we have access to God in boldness and confidence through faith in him.
Scripture Lesson 2
Psalms 72:1-7, 10-14 – Selected and read by Deacon LeRoy Potts
- Give the king your justice, O God, and your righteousness to a king’s son.
- May he judge your people with righteousness, and your poor with justice.
- May the mountains yield prosperity for the people, and the hills, in righteousness.
- May he defend the cause of the poor of the people, give deliverance to the needy, and crush the oppressor.
- May he live while the sun endures, and as long as the moon, throughout all generations.
- May he be like rain that falls on the mown grass, like showers that water the earth.
- In his days may righteousness flourish and peace abound, until the moon is no more.
- May the kings of Tarshish and of the isles render him tribute, may the kings of Sheba and Seba bring gifts.
- May all kings fall down before him, all nations give him service.
- For he delivers the needy when they call, the poor and those who have no helper.
- He has pity on the weak and the needy, and saves the lives of the needy.
- From oppression and violence he redeems their life; and precious is their blood in his sight.
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
- In the time of King Herod, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem,
- asking, “Where is the child who has been born king of the Jews? For we observed his star at its rising, and have come to pay him homage.”
- When King Herod heard this, he was frightened, and all Jerusalem with him;
- and calling together all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Messiah was to be born.
- They told him, “In Bethlehem of Judea; for so it has been written by the prophet:
- ‘And you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for from you shall come a ruler who is to shepherd my people Israel.'”
- Then Herod secretly called for the wise men and learned from them the exact time when the star had appeared.
- Then he sent them to Bethlehem, saying, “Go and search diligently for the child; and when you have found him, bring me word so that I may also go and pay him homage.”
- When they had heard the king, they set out; and there, ahead of them, went the star that they had seen at its rising, until it stopped over the place where the child was.
- When they saw that the star had stopped, they were overwhelmed with joy.
- On entering the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother; and they knelt down and paid him homage. Then, opening their treasure chests, they offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
- And having been warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they left for their own country by another road.
Grace Under Duress – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
With the continued recommendation from the CDC and local authorities Riverside’s building will remain closed until further notice. While the building is closed, we gather online to worship. We will keep you updated through the newsletter and the website on the status of the building. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff should you need anything.
Visitors – please go here to let us know that you were online with us today.
Every Sunday at 11:00 am we gather online via Zoom to fellowship and pray. Information is available on the website. This Sunday we will share communion at the end of the meeting. Bring your elements to your table that we may all join around Christ’s table. Please join us!
Bible Study resumes this week, Wednesday, January 13 at 6:30 pm. Information for connecting to the group is available on the website under “Online Community Services.” The topic for January 13th and the 20th will be, “Does the Bible Support the Idea of Universalism?”
Safe Space Chat resumes on the fourth Friday of the month, January 22. Information for connecting to the meeting is also available on the website under “Online Community Services.” Join Jonathan Holley to start 2021 with fellowship and discussion.
Today we celebrate Epiphany.
Please make sure that the church office has your current contact information. We will be sending out 2020 giving receipts soon.
We are also updating the church directory. In the past, the directory has contained names, addresses, and telephone numbers. We would also like to include email addresses. Please send the information you would like included in the directory to the office at email@example.com.
We extend our deepest Christian sympathy to Lynda Gyles and Lydia Young in the passing of their sister, Lil and to EJ Hill and her family in the passing of her mother.
Pray For: EJ Hill and family; Lynda Gyles and family; Danielle Ford’s aunt, Connie Jasper; Danielle Ford and Laurel Eierman; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Brenda Rozier-Clark and the family of Rev. Paul Clark; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Pamela Maimer’s sister, Monica Thomas and mother, Clara Jefferson; Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe