Download a PDF of this service’s bulletin here or follow along below.
Call to Worship
The heavens are telling the glory of God; and the firmament proclaims his handiwork.Psalm 19
Day to day pours forth speech, and night to night declares knowledge.
There is no speech, nor are there words; their voice is not heard; yet their voice goes out through all the earth,
and their words to the end of the world. In the heavens he has set a tent for the sun,
which comes out like a bridegroom from his wedding canopy, and like a strong man runs its course with joy. Its rising is from the end of the heavens, and its circuit to the end of them; and nothing is hid from its heat.
The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; he decrees of the Lord are sure, making wise the simple;
the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; he commandment of the Lord is clear, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever; the ordinances of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey, and drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.
But who can detect their errors? Clear me from hidden faults.
Keep back your servant also from the insolent; do not let them have dominion over me.
Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you,O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.
Welcome and Announcements
The Peace of Christ
May God grant us the courage to change the things need changing,
the peace to accept the things we cannot change,
and wisdom to know the difference.
Scripture Lesson 1
- The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you shall heed such a prophet.
- This is what you requested of the Lord your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly when you said: “If I hear the voice of the Lord my God any more, or ever again see this great fire, I will die.”
- Then the Lord replied to me: “They are right in what they have said.
- I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their own people; I will put my words in the mouth of the prophet, who shall speak to them everything that I command.
- Anyone who does not heed the words that the prophet shall speak in my name, I myself will hold accountable.
- But any prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, or who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded the prophet to speak–that prophet shall die.”
Scripture Lesson 2
Psalms 111 – Selected and read by Deacon Lillie Ransom
- Praise the Lord! I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart, in the company of the upright, in the congregation.
- Great are the works of the Lord, studied by all who delight in them.
- Full of honor and majesty is his work, and his righteousness endures forever.
- He has gained renown by his wonderful deeds; the Lord is gracious and merciful.
- He provides food for those who fear him; he is ever mindful of his covenant.
- He has shown his people the power of his works, in giving them the heritage of the nations.
- The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy.
- They are established forever and ever, to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness.
- He sent redemption to his people; he has commanded his covenant forever. Holy and awesome is his name.
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever.
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
- They went to Capernaum; and when the sabbath came, he entered the synagogue and taught.
- They were astounded at his teaching, for he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
- Just then there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit,
- and he cried out, “What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are, the Holy One of God.”
- But Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be silent, and come out of him!”
- And the unclean spirit, convulsing him and crying with a loud voice, came out of him.
- They were all amazed, and they kept on asking one another, “What is this? A new teaching–with authority! He commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey him.”
- At once his fame began to spread throughout the surrounding region of Galilee.
Seek and Destroy – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
With the continued recommendation from the CDC and local authorities Riverside’s building will remain closed until further notice. While the building is closed, we gather online to worship. We will keep you updated through the newsletter and the website on the status of the building. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff should you need anything.
Visitors – please go here to let us know that you were online with us today.
Every Sunday at 11:00 am we gather online via Zoom to fellowship and pray. Information is available on the website. Please join us!
Today, Sunday, January 31, following the prayer meeting, we will have a servanthood meeting via Zoom. Please plan to attend and participate in the life of your church.
Bible Study will meet this week, Wednesday, February 3 at 6:30 pm. Information for connecting to the group is available on the website under “Online Community Services.” We will be concluding our discussion of “Does the Bible Support the Idea of Universalism?”
We offer “Good Grief,” a grief share and support group that will meet monthly for folks who are grieving to come, share, and encourage one another, starting Tuesday, February 9 at 6:30 pm and continuing the second Tuesday of every month. Further details will be available on the website and in the newsletter shortly.
Riverside Readers are meeting next Sunday, February 7 immediately after our Sunday morning prayer meeting. After exploring novels and poetry in previous years, we will read and discuss speeches of great orators. For more information, please email Cedric Lawson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This year, Riverside Readers will discuss the following orators:
- Sunday, February 7: Ida B Wells-Barnett, and her 1893 speech, “Lynch Law in all its Phases”
- Sunday, May 2: Frederick Douglass
- Sunday, August 1: Gardner C Taylor
- Sunday, November 7: to be determined
We are updating the church directory. In the past, the directory has contained names, addresses, and telephone numbers. We would also like to include email addresses. Please send the information you would like included in the directory to the office at email@example.com.
Pray For: EJ Hill and family; Lynda Gyles and family; Danielle Ford’s aunt, Connie Jasper; Danielle Ford and Laurel Eierman; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Brenda Rozier-Clark and the family of Rev. Paul Clark; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Pamela Maimer’s sister, Monica Thomas and mother, Clara Jefferson; Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe