Download a PDF of this service’s bulletin here or follow along below.
Call to Worship
The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?Psalm 27
The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
When evildoers assail me to devour my flesh— my adversaries and foes— they shall stumble and fall. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war rise up against me, yet I will be confident. One thing I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple.
For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will set me high on a rock. Now my head is lifted up above my enemies all around me, and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy;
I will sing and make melody to the Lord.
Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer me!
“Come,” my heart says, “seek his face!” Your face, Lord, do I seek.
Do not hide your face from me. Do not turn your servant away in anger, you who have been my help.
Do not cast me off, do not forsake me, O God of my salvation!
If my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will take me up.
Teach me your way, O Lord, and lead me on a level path because of my enemies.
Do not give me up to the will of my adversaries, for false witnesses have risen against me, and they are breathing out violence.
I believe that I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!
Welcome and Announcements
The Peace of Christ
May God grant us the courage to change the things need changing,
the peace to accept the things we cannot change,
and wisdom to know the difference.
Scripture Lesson 1
Genesis 17:1-7, 15-16
- When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said to him, “I am God Almighty; walk before me, and be blameless.
- And I will make my covenant between me and you, and will make you exceedingly numerous.”
- Then Abram fell on his face; and God said to him,
- “As for me, this is my covenant with you: You shall be the ancestor of a multitude of nations.
- No longer shall your name be Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you the ancestor of a multitude of nations.
- I will make you exceedingly fruitful; and I will make nations of you, and kings shall come from you.
- I will establish my covenant between me and you, and your offspring after you throughout their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you.
- God said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name.
- I will bless her, and moreover I will give you a son by her. I will bless her, and she shall give rise to nations; kings of peoples shall come from her.”
Scripture Lesson 2
Psalm 22:23-31 – Selected and read by Deacon Lillie Ransom
- You who fear the LORD, praise him! All you offspring of Jacob, glorify him; stand in awe of him, all you offspring of Israel!
- For he did not despise or abhor the affliction of the afflicted; he did not hide his face from me, but heard when I cried to him.
- From you comes my praise in the great congregation; my vows I will pay before those who fear him.
- The poor shall eat and be satisfied; those who seek him shall praise the LORD. May your hearts live forever!
- All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the LORD; and all the families of the nations shall worship before him.
- For dominion belongs to the LORD, and he rules over the nations.
- To him, indeed, shall all who sleep in the earth bow down; before him shall bow all who go down to the dust, and I shall live for him.
- Posterity will serve him; future generations will be told about the Lord,
- and proclaim his deliverance to a people yet unborn, saying that he has done it.
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
- Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi; and on the way he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that I am?”
- And they answered him, “John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets.”
- He asked them, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter answered him, “You are the Messiah.”
- And he sternly ordered them not to tell anyone about him.
- Then he began to teach them that the Son of Man must undergo great suffering, and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.
- He said all this quite openly. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him.
- But turning and looking at his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.”
- He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.
- For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it.
- For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life?
- Indeed, what can they give in return for their life?
- Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”
Paving Hell’s Path – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
With the continued recommendation from the CDC and local authorities Riverside’s building will remain closed until further notice. While the building is closed, we gather online to worship. We will keep you updated through the newsletter and the website on the status of the building. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff should you need anything.
Visitors – please go here to let us know that you were online with us today.
Every Sunday at 11:00 am we gather online via Zoom to fellowship and pray. Information is available on the website. Please join us!
Bible Study will meet this week, Wednesday, February 3 at 6:30 pm. Information for connecting to the group is available on the website under “Online Community Services.” We will be concluding our discussion of “Does the Bible Support the Idea of Universalism?”
“Good Grief,” a grief share and support group will meet this Wednesday March 3 at 6:30 pm, and the first Wednesday of every month, for those who are grieving to come, share, and encourage one another. Information for connecting via Zoom and telephone is available on the website under Online Community Services.
Bible Study will return in March. Plan to join us March 10 and March 24.
Today’s featured artwork is “Inscriptions at the City of Brass,” a 1972 collage by African American artist Romare Bearden. More information on the artist is available from Wikipedia.
Pray For: Pamela Maimer’s sisters, Monica Thomas and Tonya Jefferson, and mother, Clara Jefferson; EJ Hill and family; Lynda Gyles and family; Danielle Ford’s aunt, Connie Jasper; Danielle Ford and Laurel Eierman; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Brenda Rozier-Clark and the family of Rev. Paul Clark; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe