Download a PDF of this service’s bulletin here or follow along below.
Call to Worship
In you, O LORD, I seek refuge; do not let me ever be put to shame; in your righteousness deliver me.
Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily. Be a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me.
You are indeed my rock and my fortress; for your name’s sake lead me and guide me,
take me out of the net that is hidden for me, for you are my refuge.
Into your hand I commit my spirit;
you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God.
My times are in your hand; deliver me from the hand of my enemies and persecutors.Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16
Let your face shine upon your servant; save me in your steadfast love.
Welcome and Announcements
The Peace of Christ
May God grant us courage to change the things need changing,
the peace to accept the things we cannot change,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Scripture Lesson 1
- While Peter was still speaking, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who heard the word.
- The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astounded that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles,
- for they heard them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter said,
- “Can anyone withhold the water for baptizing these people who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?”
- So he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they invited him to stay for several days.
Scripture Lesson 2
Psalm 98 – Selected and read by Deacon Lillie S. Ransom
- O sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things. His right hand and his holy arm have gotten him victory.
- The Lord has made known his victory; he has revealed his vindication in the sight of the nations.
- He has remembered his steadfast love and faithfulness to the house of Israel. All the ends of the earth have seen the victory of our God.
- Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth; break forth into joyous song and sing praises.
- Sing praises to the Lord with the lyre, with the lyre and the sound of melody.
- With trumpets and the sound of the horn make a joyful noise before the King, the Lord.
- Let the sea roar, and all that fills it; the world and those who live in it.
- Let the floods clap their hands; let the hills sing together for joy
- at the presence of the Lord, for he is coming to judge the earth. He will judge the world with righteousness, and the peoples with equity.
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
- As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love.
- If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love.
- I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.
- “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
- No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
- You are my friends if you do what I command you.
- I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father.
- You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name.
- I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.
You’ve Got a Friend in Me – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
With the continued recommendation from the CDC and local authorities Riverside’s building will remain closed until further notice. While the building is closed, we gather online to worship. We will keep you updated through the newsletter and the website on the status of the building. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff should you need anything.
We are currently planning to begin in-person services again on July 18. More information will be available as we get closer to that date.
Visitors – please go here to let us know that you were online with us today.
Every Sunday at 11:00 am we gather online via Zoom to fellowship and pray. Today we will share virtual communion. Please bring the elements of bread and wine/juice to your table that we may gather around the Lord’s table. Information for connecting is available on the website. Please join us!
Bible Study returns this Wednesday, May 12 at 6:30 pm. Plan to join us as we continue our discussion of eschatology, the end times, and what this means to us. The Zoom link is here on the website.
Safe Space Chat, a Zoom gathering for fellowship and discussion, meets Friday, May 28, and on the fourth Friday of every month, at 6:00 pm. Information for connecting to the meeting is available on the website under “Online Community Services.” Join Jonathan Holley for this opportunity.
Still looking for a vaccine? The District has transitioned to the use of 11 high-capacity, walk-up, no appointment needed vaccination sites. Days, hours, and available vaccines are listed on http://vaccinefinder.org.
And in Virgina, connect with Virginia Vaccine Hunters via Facebook.
Today’s featured artwork is the Friendship Bench mosaic outside the Peace Palace, the Hague, Netherlands. More information on the Peace Palace can be found on Wikipedia.
Pray For: Pamela Maimer’s sisters, Monica Thomas and Tonya Jefferson, and mother, Clara Jefferson; EJ Hill and family; Lynda Gyles and family; Danielle Ford’s aunt, Connie Jasper; Danielle Ford and Laurel Eierman; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe