[Video of the service for May 16, 2021 will appear here Sunday morning.]
Download a PDF of this service’s bulletin here or follow along below.
Call to Worship
Clap your hands, all you peoples; shout to God with loud songs of joy.Psalm 47
For the Lord, the Most High, is awesome, a great king over all the earth.
He subdued peoples under us, and nations under our feet.
He chose our heritage for us, the pride of Jacob whom he loves. Selah
God has gone up with a shout, the Lord with the sound of a trumpet.
Sing praises to God, sing praises; sing praises to our King, sing praises.
For God is the king of all the earth; sing praises with a psalm.
God is king over the nations; God sits on his holy throne.
The princes of the peoples gather as the people of the God of Abraham.
For the shields of the earth belong to God; he is highly exalted.
Welcome and Announcements
The Peace of Christ
May God grant us courage to change the things need changing,
the peace to accept the things we cannot change,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Scripture Lesson 1
Acts 1: 1-11
- In the first book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus did and taught from the beginning
- until the day when he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen.
- After his suffering he presented himself alive to them by many convincing proofs, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God.
- While staying with them, he ordered them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait there for the promise of the Father. “This,” he said, “is what you have heard from me;
- for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”
- So when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, is this the time when you will restore the kingdom to Israel?”
- He replied, “It is not for you to know the times or periods that the Father has set by his own authority.
- But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
- When he had said this, as they were watching, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight.
- While he was going and they were gazing up toward heaven, suddenly two men in white robes stood by them.
- They said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking up toward heaven? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.”
Scripture Lesson 2
Psalm 1 – Selected and read by Deacon Cheryl Parham
- Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path that sinners tread, or sit in the seat of scoffers;
- but their delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law they meditate day and night.
- They are like trees planted by streams of water, which yield their fruit in its season, and their leaves do not wither. In all that they do, they prosper.
- The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away.
- Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;
- for the LORD watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
- Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you–that everything written about me in the law of Moses, the prophets, and the psalms must be fulfilled.”
- Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures,
- and he said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Messiah is to suffer and to rise from the dead on the third day,
- and that repentance and forgiveness of sins is to be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.
- You are witnesses of these things.
- And see, I am sending upon you what my Father promised; so stay here in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.”
- Then he led them out as far as Bethany, and, lifting up his hands, he blessed them.
- While he was blessing them, he withdrew from them and was carried up into heaven.
- And they worshiped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy;
- and they were continually in the temple blessing God.
Higher Ground – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
The situation around Covid-19 is rapidly changing. DC and CDC recommendations have recently been updated. The Riverside Baptist Church building remains closed and we continue to gather online to worship. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff should you need anything.
We are currently planning to begin in-person services again on July 18. More information on the current planning is on the website.
Visitors – please go here to let us know that you were online with us today.
Every Sunday at 11:00 am we gather online via Zoom to fellowship and pray. Information is available on the website. Please join us!
Bible Study continues this Wednesday, May 19 at 6:30 pm. Plan to join us as we continue our discussion of eschatology, the end times, and what this means to us. The Zoom link is here on the website.
Safe Space Chat meets Friday, May 28, and on the fourth Friday of every month, at 6:00 pm. Information for connecting to the meeting is available on the website under “Online Community Services.” Join Jonathan Holley for this opportunity for fellowship and discussion.
Sunday, May 30, following the prayer meeting (approximately noon) and in the same Zoom room, we will have a servanthood meeting. Members, please plan to attend and participate in the life of your church.
Still looking for a vaccine? The District has transitioned to the use of 11 high-capacity, walk-up, no appointment needed vaccination sites. Days, hours, and available vaccines are listed on http://vaccinefinder.org.
And in Virgina, connect with Virginia Vaccine Hunters via Facebook.
Today’s featured artwork is a photograph from the US Geological Survey of a lenticular cloud over the Tararua Range mountains, North Island, New Zealand. More information about the photograph and the cloud formation can be found at the USGS site.
Pray For: Pamela Maimer’s sisters, Monica Thomas and Tonya Jefferson, and mother, Clara Jefferson; EJ Hill and family; Lynda Gyles and family; Danielle Ford’s aunt, Connie Jasper; Danielle Ford and Laurel Eierman; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe