The live service begins at 10:00 am on Sunday, August 1.
Call to Worship
Yet he commanded the skies above, and opened the doors of heaven;Psalm 78:23-29
he rained down on them manna to eat, and gave them the grain of heaven.
Mortals ate of the bread of angels; he sent them food in abundance.
He caused the east wind to blow in the heavens, and by his power he led out the south wind; he rained flesh upon them like dust, winged birds like the sand of the seas;
he let them fall within their camp, all around their dwellings.
And they ate and were well filled, for he gave them what they craved.
Songs of Praise
Welcome and Announcements
*The Peace of Christ
O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer’s praise,
the glories of my God and King, the triumphs of God’s grace!
Jesus! the name that charms our fears, that bids our sorrows cease,
’tis music in the sinner’s ears, ’tis life and health and peace.
*Response – We Give Thee But Thine Own
We give thee but thine own whate’er the gift may be
All that we have is thine alone, a trust oh Lord from thee. Amen.
*Prayer of Thanks
Scripture Lesson 1
- So when the crowd saw that neither Jesus nor his disciples were there, they themselves got into the boats and went to Capernaum looking for Jesus.
- When they found him on the other side of the sea, they said to him, “Rabbi, when did you come here?”
- Jesus answered them, “Very truly, I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves.
- Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal.”
- Then they said to him, “What must we do to perform the works of God?”
- Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”
- So they said to him, “What sign are you going to give us then, so that we may see it and believe you? What work are you performing?
- Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat.’”
- Then Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven.
- For the bread of God is that which[a] comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
- They said to him, “Sir, give us this bread always.”
- Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.
Scripture Lesson 2
Psalm 51:1-12 – Selected and read by Deacon Leroy Potts
- Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
blot out my transgressions.
- Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
and cleanse me from my sin.
- For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is ever before me.
- Against you, you alone, have I sinned,
and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you are justified in your sentence
and blameless when you pass judgment.
- Indeed, I was born guilty,
a sinner when my mother conceived me.
- You desire truth in the inward being;
therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart.
- Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
- Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones that you have crushed rejoice.
- Hide your face from my sins,
and blot out all my iniquities.
- Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and put a new and right spirit within me.
- Do not cast me away from your presence,
and do not take your holy spirit from me.
- Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and sustain in me a willing spirit.
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
2 Samuel 11:26-12:13a
- When the wife of Uriah heard that her husband was dead, she made lamentation for him.
- When the mourning was over, David sent and brought her to his house, and she became his wife, and bore him a son.
- But the thing that David had done displeased the Lord, and the Lord sent Nathan to David. He came to him, and said to him, “There were two men in a certain city, the one rich and the other poor.
- The rich man had very many flocks and herds;
- but the poor man had nothing but one little ewe lamb, which he had bought. He brought it up, and it grew up with him and with his children; it used to eat of his meager fare, and drink from his cup, and lie in his bosom, and it was like a daughter to him.
- Now there came a traveler to the rich man, and he was loath to take one of his own flock or herd to prepare for the wayfarer who had come to him, but he took the poor man’s lamb, and prepared that for the guest who had come to him.”
- Then David’s anger was greatly kindled against the man. He said to Nathan, “As the Lord lives, the man who has done this deserves to die;
- he shall restore the lamb fourfold, because he did this thing, and because he had no pity.”
- Nathan said to David, “You are the man! Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: I anointed you king over Israel, and I rescued you from the hand of Saul;
- I gave you your master’s house, and your master’s wives into your bosom, and gave you the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would have added as much more.
- Why have you despised the word of the Lord, to do what is evil in his sight? You have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword, and have taken his wife to be your wife, and have killed him with the sword of the Ammonites.
- Now therefore the sword shall never depart from your house, for you have despised me, and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.
- Thus says the Lord: I will raise up trouble against you from within your own house; and I will take your wives before your eyes, and give them to your neighbor, and he shall lie with your wives in the sight of this very sun.
- For you did it secretly; but I will do this thing before all Israel, and before the sun.”
- David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” Nathan said to David, “Now the Lord has put away your sin; you shall not die.
The Man – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
The Ordinance of Holy Communion
*Hymn of Consecration
Marching in the Light of God
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
EVERYONE – please go here to let us know that you were here today. This link will allow you to sign up for the weekly email newsletter, or request contact from the pastor.
Riverside Readers will meet after worship today, Sunday, August 1 for about an hour of snacks and discussion in the conference room.
Still looking for a vaccine? DC, Maryland, and Virginia have opened up vaccines to all residents 12 and older. Days, hours, and available vaccines for all jurisdictions are listed on http://vaccinefinder.org.
Sunday, August 29, we will have a servanthood meeting following worship service. Members, please plan to attend and participate in the life of your church.
Pray For: Edith Booker; Pamela Maimer’s sisters, Monica Thomas and Tonya Jefferson, and mother, Clara Jefferson; EJ Hill and family; Lynda Gyles and family; Danielle Ford’s aunt, Connie Jasper; Danielle Ford and Laurel Eierman; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe