Call to Worship
Make a joyful noise to God, all the earth;Psalm 66:1-9
sing the glory of his name; give to him glorious praise.
Say to God, “How awesome are your deeds! Because of your great power, your enemies cringe before you.
All the earth worships you; they sing praises to you, sing praises to your name.”
Come and see what God has done: he is awesome in his deeds among mortals.
He turned the sea into dry land; they passed through the river on foot. There we rejoiced in him,
who rules by his might forever, whose eyes keep watch on the nations— let the rebellious not exalt themselves.
Bless our God, O peoples, let the sound of his praise be heard,
who has kept us among the living, and has not let our feet slip.
Songs of Praise
Welcome and Announcements
The Peace of Christ
O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer’s praise, the glories of my God and King, the triumphs of God’s grace!
Jesus! the name that charms our fears, that bids our sorrows cease, ’tis music in the sinner’s ears, ’tis life and health and peace.
Response – We Give Thee But Thine Own
We give thee but thine own whate’er the gift may be
All that we have is thine alone, a trust oh Lord from thee. Amen.
Prayer of Thanks
Scripture Lesson 1
1 Kings 2:10-12; 3:3-14
- Then David slept with his ancestors, and was buried in the city of David.
- The time that David reigned over Israel was forty years; he reigned seven years in Hebron, and thirty-three years in Jerusalem.
- So Solomon sat on the throne of his father David; and his kingdom was firmly established.
- Solomon loved the Lord, walking in the statutes of his father David; only, he sacrificed and offered incense at the high places.
- The king went to Gibeon to sacrifice there, for that was the principal high place; Solomon used to offer a thousand burnt offerings on that altar.
- At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, “Ask what I should give you.”
- And Solomon said, “You have shown great and steadfast love to your servant my father David, because he walked before you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart toward you; and you have kept for him this great and steadfast love, and have given him a son to sit on his throne today.
- And now, O Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David, although I am only a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in.
- And your servant is in the midst of the people whom you have chosen, a great people, so numerous they cannot be numbered or counted.
- Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, able to discern between good and evil; for who can govern this your great people?”
- It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this.
- God said to him, “Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches, or for the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right,
- I now do according to your word. Indeed I give you a wise and discerning mind; no one like you has been before you and no one like you shall arise after you.
- I give you also what you have not asked, both riches and honor all your life; no other king shall compare with you.
- If you will walk in my ways, keeping my statutes and my commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your life.”
Scripture Lesson 2
Psalm 111 – Selected and read by Deacon Margo Ferguson
- Praise the Lord!
I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,
in the company of the upright, in the congregation.
- Great are the works of the Lord,
studied by all who delight in them.
- Full of honor and majesty is his work,
and his righteousness endures forever.
- He has gained renown by his wonderful deeds;
the Lord is gracious and merciful.
- He provides food for those who fear him;
he is ever mindful of his covenant.
- He has shown his people the power of his works,
in giving them the heritage of the nations.
- The works of his hands are faithful and just;
all his precepts are trustworthy.
- They are established forever and ever,
to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness.
- He sent redemption to his people;
he has commanded his covenant forever.
Holy and awesome is his name.
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;
all those who practice it have a good understanding.
- His praise endures forever.
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
- Wisdom has built her house,
she has hewn her seven pillars.
- She has slaughtered her animals, she has mixed her wine,
she has also set her table.
- She has sent out her servant-girls, she calls
from the highest places in the town,
- “You that are simple, turn in here!”
To those without sense she says,
- “Come, eat of my bread
and drink of the wine I have mixed.
- Lay aside immaturity, and live,
and walk in the way of insight.”
Dining with Sophia – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
Hymn of Consecration
Marching in the Light of God
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
WELCOME HOME! We will be live-streaming the service, and a recording of the service will be available on the website later for those who are not able to be here in person yet.
EVERYONE – please go here to let us know that you were here today. This link will allow you to sign up for the weekly email newsletter, or request contact from the pastor.
Safe Space Chat meets Friday, August 27, and on the fourth Friday of every month, at 6:30 pm for a gathering for fellowship and discussion. This month we will have a special guest, Charmaine Eccles-Garcon, trans advocate and motivational speaker for a talk on gender pronouns and inclusive language. Join Jonathan Holley for this in-person opportunity at Riverside.
Riverside will have a servanthood meeting following worship service on Sunday, August 29. Members, please plan to attend and participate in the life of your church.
Westminster Presbyterian will host a hybrid in-person/online event for International Overdose Awareness day on Tuesday, August 31, from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Details are available in the lobby – pick up a flyer!
Pray For: Edith Booker; Pamela Maimer’s sisters, Monica Thomas and Tonya Jefferson, and mother, Clara Jefferson; EJ Hill and family; Lynda Gyles and family; Danielle Ford’s aunt, Connie Jasper; Danielle Ford and Laurel Eierman; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Bob Nelson; Laurel Eierman’s mother, Marcia Tringali; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Edith Booker; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe