Call to Worship
O Lord, our Sovereign, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens. Out of the mouths of babes and infants you have founded a bulwark because of your foes,Psalm 8
to silence the enemy and the avenger.
When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars that you have established; what are human beings that you are mindful of them, mortals that you care for them?
Yet you have made them a little lower than God, and crowned them with glory and honor.
You have given them dominion over the works of your hands; you have put all things under their feet,
all sheep and oxen, and also the beasts of the field,
the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea, whatever passes along the paths of the seas.
O Lord, our Sovereign, how majestic is your name in all the earth!
Songs of Praise
A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
Fairest Lord Jesus
Shout To The Lord
Welcome and Announcements
The Peace of Christ
O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer’s praise, the glories of my God and King, the triumphs of God’s grace!
Jesus! the name that charms our fears, that bids our sorrows cease, ’tis music in the sinner’s ears, ’tis life and health and peace.
Response – We Give Thee But Thine Own
We give thee but thine own whate’er the gift may be
All that we have is thine alone, a trust oh Lord from thee. Amen.
Prayer of Thanks
Scripture Lesson 1
- Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper as his partner.”
- So out of the ground the Lord God formed every animal of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called every living creature, that was its name.
- The man gave names to all cattle, and to the birds of the air, and to every animal of the field; but for the man there was not found a helper as his partner.
- So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then he took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh.
- And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man.
- Then the man said,
“This at last is bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
this one shall be called Woman,
for out of Man this one was taken.”
- Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and clings to his wife, and they become one flesh.
Scripture Lesson 2
Hebrews 1:1-4, 2: 5-12 – Selected and read by Deacon Ida Williams Lacewell
- Long ago God spoke to our ancestors in many and various ways by the prophets,
- but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom he also created the worlds.
- He is the reflection of God’s glory and the exact imprint of God’s very being, and he sustains all things by his powerful word. When he had made purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,
- having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.
- Now God did not subject the coming world, about which we are speaking, to angels.
- But someone has testified somewhere,
“What are human beings that you are mindful of them,
or mortals, that you care for them?
- You have made them for a little while lower than the angels;
you have crowned them with glory and honor,
- subjecting all things under their feet.”
Now in subjecting all things to them, God left nothing outside their control. As it is, we do not yet see everything in subjection to them,
- but we do see Jesus, who for a little while was made lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.
- It was fitting that God, for whom and through whom all things exist, in bringing many children to glory, should make the pioneer of their salvation perfect through sufferings.
- For the one who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one Father. For this reason Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters,
“I will proclaim your name to my brothers and sisters,
in the midst of the congregation I will praise you.”
Help Us Accept Each Other
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
Job 1:1, 2:1-10
- There was once a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job. That man was blameless and upright, one who feared God and turned away from evil.
- One day the heavenly beings came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them to present himself before the Lord.
- The Lord said to Satan, “Where have you come from?” Satan answered the Lord, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.”
- The Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man who fears God and turns away from evil. He still persists in his integrity, although you incited me against him, to destroy him for no reason.”
- Then Satan answered the Lord, “Skin for skin! All that people have they will give to save their lives.
- But stretch out your hand now and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse you to your face.”
- The Lord said to Satan, “Very well, he is in your power; only spare his life.”
- So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord, and inflicted loathsome sores on Job from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head.
- Job took a potsherd with which to scrape himself, and sat among the ashes.
- Then his wife said to him, “Do you still persist in your integrity? Curse God, and die.”
- But he said to her, “You speak as any foolish woman would speak. Shall we receive the good at the hand of God, and not receive the bad?” In all this Job did not sin with his lips.
Helper? – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
The Ordinance of Holy Communion
Song of the Body of Christ
Hymn of Consecration
The Church’s One Foundation
God be With You
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
We will be live-streaming the service, and a recording of the service will be available on the website later for those who are not able to be here in person yet.
EVERYONE – Please go here to let us know that you were here today. You can also go here to sign up for the weekly email newsletter, or request contact from the pastor.
This Wednesday, October 6 at 7:00 pm and continuing the first Wednesday of every month, we offer “Good Grief,” a grief share and support group that meets via Zoom monthly for those who are grieving to come, share, and encourage one another. Information for connecting via Zoom and telephone is available on the website under Online Community Services.
Choir rehearsal resumes Thursdays at 6:00 pm. Can you sing? Come add your voice to our ministry of music! Please contact Lauren White at email@example.com for information and to be added to the email list.
Pray For: Edward Harris’s mother, Ruth Harris; Edith Booker; Pamela Maimer’s sisters, Monica Thomas and Tonya Jefferson, and mother, Clara Jefferson; Lynda Gyles and family; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Bob Nelson; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe