Call to Worship
Because you have made the Lord your refuge, the Most High your dwelling place,Psalm 91:9-16
no evil shall befall you, no scourge come near your tent.
For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.
On their hands they will bear you up, so that you will not dash your foot against a stone.
You will tread on the lion and the adder, the young lion and the serpent you will trample under foot. Those who love me, I will deliver; I will protect those who know my name.
When they call to me, I will answer them; I will be with them in trouble, I will rescue them and honor them. With long life I will satisfy them, and show them my salvation.
Songs of Praise
You Are Good
I Love The Lord
Welcome and Announcements
The Peace of Christ
O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer’s praise, the glories of my God and King, the triumphs of God’s grace!
Jesus! the name that charms our fears, that bids our sorrows cease, ’tis music in the sinner’s ears, ’tis life and health and peace.
Response – We Give Thee But Thine Own
We give thee but thine own whate’er the gift may be
All that we have is thine alone, a trust oh Lord from thee. Amen.
Prayer of Thanks
Scripture Lesson 1
- James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came forward to him and said to him, “Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you.”
- And he said to them, “What is it you want me to do for you?”
- And they said to him, “Grant us to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your glory.”
- But Jesus said to them, “You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?”
- They replied, “We are able.” Then Jesus said to them, “The cup that I drink you will drink; and with the baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized;
- but to sit at my right hand or at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared.”
- When the ten heard this, they began to be angry with James and John.
- So Jesus called them and said to them, “You know that among the Gentiles those whom they recognize as their rulers lord it over them, and their great ones are tyrants over them.
- But it is not so among you; but whoever wishes to become great among you must be your servant,
- and whoever wishes to be first among you must be slave of all.
- For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.”
Scripture Lesson 2
Hebrews 5:1-10 – Selected and read by Deacon Lillie S. Ransom
- Every high priest chosen from among mortals is put in charge of things pertaining to God on their behalf, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins.
- He is able to deal gently with the ignorant and wayward, since he himself is subject to weakness;
- and because of this he must offer sacrifice for his own sins as well as for those of the people.
- And one does not presume to take this honor, but takes it only when called by God, just as Aaron was.
- So also Christ did not glorify himself in becoming a high priest, but was appointed by the one who said to him, “You are my Son, today I have begotten you”;
- as he says also in another place, “You are a priest forever, according to the order of Melchizedek.”
- In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to the one who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.
- Although he was a Son, he learned obedience through what he suffered;
- and having been made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him,
- having been designated by God a high priest according to the order of Melchizedek.
As the Deer
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
Job 38:1-7, 34-41
- Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind:
- “Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?
- Gird up your loins like a man,
I will question you, and you shall declare to me.
- “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell me, if you have understanding.
- Who determined its measurements—surely you know!
Or who stretched the line upon it?
- On what were its bases sunk,
or who laid its cornerstone
- when the morning stars sang together
and all the heavenly beings shouted for joy?
- “Can you lift up your voice to the clouds,
so that a flood of waters may cover you?
- Can you send forth lightnings, so that they may go
and say to you, ‘Here we are’?
- Who has put wisdom in the inward parts,
or given understanding to the mind?
- Who has the wisdom to number the clouds?
Or who can tilt the waterskins of the heavens,
- when the dust runs into a mass
and the clods cling together?
- “Can you hunt the prey for the lion,
or satisfy the appetite of the young lions,
- when they crouch in their dens,
or lie in wait in their covert?
- Who provides for the raven its prey,
when its young ones cry to God,
and wander about for lack of food?
Our Own Personal Whirlwind – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
Hymn of Consecration
Oh Happy Day
Sweet, Sweet Spirit
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
We will be live-streaming the service, and a recording of the service will be available on the website later for those who are not able to be here in person yet.
EVERYONE – Please go here to let us know that you were here today. You can also go here to sign up for the weekly email newsletter, or request contact from the pastor.
Choir rehearsal is on Thursdays at 6:00 pm in the church sanctuary. Can you sing? Come add your voice to our ministry of music! Please contact Lauren White at firstname.lastname@example.org for information and to be added to the email list.
Riverside will have a servanthood meeting following worship service on Sunday, November 7. Members, please plan to attend and participate in the life of your church.
Wednesday, November 3 at 7:00 pm and on the first Wednesday of every month, we offer “Good Grief,” a grief share and support group that meets via Zoom for those who are grieving to come, share, and encourage one another. Information for connecting via Zoom and telephone is available on the website under Online Community Services.
Today’s featured artwork is “Transcendent Attacking a Whirlwind,” by Takashi Murakami. This photo of the work was taken at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. Information on the photo is available from flickr.com. More information on the artist is available on Wikipedia.
Pray For: Karl Maxwell’s brother, Kenneth Maxwell; Edward Harris’s mother, Ruth Harris; Edith Booker; Pamela Maimer’s sisters, Monica Thomas and Tonya Jefferson, and mother, Clara Jefferson; Lynda Gyles and family; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Bob Nelson; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe