Call to Worship
Hannah prayed and said, “My heart exults in the Lord; my strength is exalted in my God.1 Samuel 2:1-9
My mouth derides my enemies, because I rejoice in my victory.
“There is no Holy One like the Lord no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.
Talk no more so very proudly, let not arrogance come from your mouth;
for the Lord is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed.
The bows of the mighty are broken, but the feeble gird on strength.
Those who were full have hired themselves out for bread, but those who were hungry are fat with spoil. The barren has borne seven, but she who has many children is forlorn.
The Lord kills and brings to life; he brings down to Sheol and raises up.
The Lord makes poor and makes rich; he brings low, he also exalts.
He raises up the poor from the dust; he lifts the needy from the ash heap, to make them sit with princes and inherit a seat of honor. For the pillars of the earth are the Lord’s, and on them he has set the world. “He will guard the feet of his faithful ones, but the wicked shall be cut off in darkness;
for not by might does one prevail.
Songs of Praise
A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
Shout To The Lord
Welcome and Announcements
The Peace of Christ
O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer’s praise, the glories of my God and King, the triumphs of God’s grace!
Jesus! the name that charms our fears, that bids our sorrows cease, ’tis music in the sinner’s ears, ’tis life and health and peace.
Response – We Give Thee But Thine Own
We give thee but thine own whate’er the gift may be
All that we have is thine alone, a trust oh Lord from thee. Amen.
Prayer of Thanks
Scripture Lesson 1
- “At that time Michael, the great prince, the protector of your people, shall arise. There shall be a time of anguish, such as has never occurred since nations first came into existence. But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone who is found written in the book.
- Many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
- Those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever.
Scripture Lesson 2
Psalm 16 – Selected and read by Deacon Cheryl Parham
- Protect me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
- I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;
I have no good apart from you.”
- As for the holy ones in the land, they are the noble,
in whom is all my delight.
- Those who choose another god multiply their sorrows;
their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out
or take their names upon my lips.
- The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.
- The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
I have a goodly heritage.
- I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
- I keep the Lord always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
- Therefore my heart is glad, and my soul rejoices;
my body also rests secure.
- For you do not give me up to Sheol,
or let your faithful one see the Pit.
- You show me the path of life.
In your presence there is fullness of joy;
in your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
There Is None Like You
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
- As he came out of the temple, one of his disciples said to him, “Look, Teacher, what large stones and what large buildings!”
- Then Jesus asked him, “Do you see these great buildings? Not one stone will be left here upon another; all will be thrown down.”
- When he was sitting on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter, James, John, and Andrew asked him privately,
- “Tell us, when will this be, and what will be the sign that all these things are about to be accomplished?”
- Then Jesus began to say to them, “Beware that no one leads you astray.
- Many will come in my name and say, ‘I am he!’ and they will lead many astray.
- When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed; this must take place, but the end is still to come.
- For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; there will be earthquakes in various places; there will be famines. This is but the beginning of the birth pangs.
Living in Pang – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
The Ordinance of Holy Communion
Hymn of Consecration
Lift Every Voice and Sing
Marching in the Light of God
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
We will be live-streaming the service, and a recording of the service will be available on the website later for those who are not able to be here in person yet.
EVERYONE – Please go here to let us know that you were here today. You can also go here to sign up for the weekly email newsletter, or request contact from the pastor.
We will collect an offering for the Shepherd’s Purse after worship today, Sunday, November 14 for the Wanda Alston Foundation. The Wanda Alston Foundation supports at-risk youth and young adults in the LGBTQIA+ community. There will be a deacon at the exit to accept donations. More information on the foundation is available at https://www.wandaalstonfoundation.org. Jonathan Holley is also coordinating donations of non-perishable food for the Wanda Alston foundation. Food can be left on the back table in the multipurpose room. It will be picked up and taken to the foundation on Friday, November 19.
A funeral service for Bob Nelson was held in the sanctuary Wednesday, November 10. Thank you to all attended to mourn Bob and support his family. He will be buried at Quantico National Cemetery, with a graveside service next Wednesday, November 17 at 10:30 am.
Wednesday, December 1 at 7:00 pm and the first Wednesday of every month, we offer “Good Grief,” a grief share and support group that meets via Zoom monthly for those who are grieving to come, share, and encourage one another. Information for connecting via Zoom and telephone is available on the website under Online Community Services.
Pray For: We extend our Christian sympathy to Terryn Nelson and family, and join them in their mourning in the loss of Bob Nelson; Annie Clifford; Terri Battle and her mother, Claudia Green; Karl Maxwell’s brother, Kenneth Maxwell; Edward Harris’s mother, Ruth Harris; Edith Booker; Pamela Maimer’s sisters, Monica Thomas and Tonya Jefferson, and mother, Clara Jefferson; Lynda Gyles and family; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe