Call to Worship
When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion, we were like those who dream.Psalm 126
Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy; then it was said among the nations, “The Lord has done great things for them.”
The Lord has done great things for us, and we rejoiced.
Restore our fortunes, O Lord, like the watercourses in the Negeb.
May those who sow in tears reap with shouts of joy.
Those who go out weeping, bearing the seed for sowing, shall come home with shouts of joy, carrying their sheaves.
Songs of Praise
Blessed Be the Name of the Lord
Welcome and Announcements
The Peace of Christ
O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer’s praise, the glories of my God and King, the triumphs of God’s grace!
Jesus! the name that charms our fears, that bids our sorrows cease, ’tis music in the sinner’s ears, ’tis life and health and peace.
Response – We Give Thee But Thine Own
We give thee but thine own whate’er the gift may be
All that we have is thine alone, a trust oh Lord from thee. Amen.
Prayer of Thanks
Scripture Lesson 1
Revelation 1:4b-8, 5: 5-6
- John to the seven churches that are in Asia:
Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne,
- and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth.
To him who loves us and free us from our sins by his blood,
- and made us to be a kingdom, priests serving his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
- Look! He is coming with the clouds;
every eye will see him,
even those who pierced him;
and on his account all the tribes of the earth will wail.
So it is to be. Amen.
- “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.
- Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep. See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals.”
- Then I saw between the throne and the four living creatures and among the elders a Lamb standing as if it had been slaughtered, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.
Scripture Lesson 2
Daniel 7:9-10, 13-14 – Selected and read by Deacon Jonathan J. Holley
- As I watched, thrones were set in place, and an Ancient One took his throne, his clothing was white as snow, and the hair of his head like pure wool; his throne was fiery flames, and its wheels were burning fire.
- A stream of fire issued and flowed out from his presence. A thousand thousands served him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood attending him. The court sat in judgment, and the books were opened.
- As I watched in the night visions, I saw one like a human being coming with the clouds of heaven.
And he came to the Ancient One and was presented before him.
- To him was given dominion and glory and kingship, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him.
His dominion is an everlasting dominion that shall not pass away, and his kingship is one that shall never be destroyed.
A Song of Peace
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
- Then Pilate entered the headquarters again, summoned Jesus, and asked him, “Are you the King of the Jews?”
- Jesus answered, “Do you ask this on your own, or did others tell you about me?”
- Pilate replied, “I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests have handed you over to me. What have you done?”
- Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from this world, my followers would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not from here.”
- Pilate asked him, “So you are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice.”
Ethereal Scourge – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
Hymn of Consecration
They’ll Know We Are Christians By Our Love
Sweet, Sweet Spirit
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
We will be live-streaming the service, and a recording of the service will be available on the website later for those who are not able to be here in person yet.
EVERYONE – Please go here to let us know that you were here today. You can also go here to sign up for the weekly email newsletter, or request contact from the pastor.
Wednesday, December 1 at 7:00 pm and the first Wednesday of every month, we offer “Good Grief,” a grief share and support group that meets via Zoom monthly for those who are grieving to come, share, and encourage one another. Information for connecting via Zoom and telephone is available on the website under Online Community Services.
We will be decorating the church for Advent and Christmas following worship on Sunday, December 5 . There will be refreshments, ornaments, lights… what more could you want? Stay after church and enjoy preparing our church for the coming of the Christ child.
Westminster Presbyterian is again coordinating with Toys for Tots, the SW CommUnity Forum, and other neighborhood churches to provide Christmas gifts to neighborhood children. They are especially in need of $20 gift cards for teenagers. Chipotle cards are a favorite! But feel free to get cards from other places too. If you wish to donate, please have gift cards to the office by Sunday, December 5.
The Endowment Committee will meet in December to consider organizations to receive donations from the endowment for 2021. The congregation is asked to submit suggestions for possible recipients before December 11 so they can be included in the discussion. Suggestions can be submitted via email to email@example.com. A list of proposed recipients will be presented and voted on at the next servanthood meeting.
Pray For: We extend our Christian sympathy to Terryn Nelson and family, and join them in their mourning in the loss of Bob Nelson; Annie Clifford; Terri Battle and her mother, Claudia Green; Karl Maxwell’s brother, Kenneth Maxwell; Edward Harris’s mother, Ruth Harris; Edith Booker; Pamela Maimer’s sisters, Monica Thomas and Tonya Jefferson, and mother, Clara Jefferson; Lynda Gyles and family; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe