Call to Worship
Sing aloud, O daughter Zion; shout, O Israel! Rejoice and exult with all your heart, O daughter Jerusalem! The Lord has taken away the judgments against you, he has turned away your enemies.Zephaniah 3:14-20
The king of Israel, the Lord, is in your midst; you shall fear disaster no more.
On that day it shall be said to Jerusalem: Do not fear, O Zion; do not let your hands grow weak.
The Lord, your God, is in your midst, a warrior who gives victory; he will rejoice over you with gladness, he will renew you in his love; he will exult over you with loud singing
as on a day of festival. I will remove disaster from you, so that you will not bear reproach for it.
I will deal with all your oppressors at that time. And I will save the lame and gather the outcast,
and I will change their shame into praise and renown in all the earth.
At that time I will bring you home, at the time when I gather you; for I will make you renowned and praised among all the peoples of the earth, when I restore your fortunes before your eyes, says the Lord.
Songs of Praise
We’ve Come This Far by Faith
Lord, Let My Heart Be Good Soil
Welcome and Announcements
Invocation and Lighting of the Advent Candle
The Peace of Christ
O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer’s praise, the glories of my God and King, the triumphs of God’s grace!
Jesus! the name that charms our fears, that bids our sorrows cease, ’tis music in the sinner’s ears, ’tis life and health and peace.
Response – We Give Thee But Thine Own
We give thee but thine own whate’er the gift may be
All that we have is thine alone, a trust oh Lord from thee. Amen.
Prayer of Thanks
Scripture Lesson 1
- Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.
- Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near.
- Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
- And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Scripture Lesson 2
Isaiah 12:2-6 – Selected and read by Deacon Cheryl Parham
- Surely God is my salvation;
I will trust, and will not be afraid,
for the Lord God is my strength and my might;
he has become my salvation.
- With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.
- And you will say in that day:
Give thanks to the Lord,
call on his name;
make known his deeds among the nations;
proclaim that his name is exalted.
- Sing praises to the Lord, for he has done gloriously;
let this be known in all the earth.
- Shout aloud and sing for joy, O royal Zion,
for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel.
Jesus, What A Wonderful Child
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
- John said to the crowds that came out to be baptized by him, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
- Bear fruits worthy of repentance. Do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our ancestor’; for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham.
- Even now the ax is lying at the root of the trees; every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.”
- And the crowds asked him, “What then should we do?”
- In reply he said to them, “Whoever has two coats must share with anyone who has none; and whoever has food must do likewise.”
- Even tax collectors came to be baptized, and they asked him, “Teacher, what should we do?”
- He said to them, “Collect no more than the amount prescribed for you.”
- Soldiers also asked him, “And we, what should we do?” He said to them, “Do not extort money from anyone by threats or false accusation, and be satisfied with your wages.”
- As the people were filled with expectation, and all were questioning in their hearts concerning John, whether he might be the Messiah,
- John answered all of them by saying, “I baptize you with water; but one who is more powerful than I is coming; I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
- His winnowing fork is in his hand, to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his granary; but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.”
- So, with many other exhortations, he proclaimed the good news to the people.
- But Herod the ruler, who had been rebuked by him because of Herodias, his brother’s wife, and because of all the evil things that Herod had done,
- added to them all by shutting up John in prison.
Systems of a Down – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
The Ordinance of Holy Communion
Hymn of Consecration
Angels, We Have Heard On High
Marching in the Light of God
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
We will be live-streaming the service, and a recording of the service will be available on the website later for those who are not able to be here in person yet.
EVERYONE – Please go here to let us know that you were here today. You can also go here to sign up for the weekly email newsletter, or request contact from the pastor.
Riverside will present the annual Choir Christmas Music Program next Sunday, December 19. It will be followed by a reception in the multipurpose room. Please join us and invite your family and friends to be part of this wonderful celebration!
Friday, December 24 is Christmas Eve. We will have a 7:00 pm Lessons and Carols service via Zoom. Information will be available on the website.
The Endowment Committee will meet in December to consider organizations to receive donations from the endowment for 2021. The congregation is asked to submit suggestions for possible recipients TODAY, December 12 so they can be included in the discussion. Suggestions can be submitted via email to email@example.com.
Pray For: Annie Clifford; Terri Battle and her mother, Claudia Green; Karl Maxwell’s brother, Kenneth Maxwell; Edward Harris’s mother, Ruth Harris; Edith Booker; Pamela Maimer’s sisters, Monica Thomas and Tonya Jefferson, and mother, Clara Jefferson; Lynda Gyles and family; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe