Call to Worship
Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord from the heavens; praise him in the heights!Psalm 148
Praise him, all his angels; praise him, all his host!
Praise him, sun and moon; praise him, all you shining stars!
Praise him, you highest heavens, and you waters above the heavens!
Let them praise the name of the Lord, for he commanded and they were created.
He established them forever and ever; he fixed their bounds, which cannot be passed.
Praise the Lord from the earth, you sea monsters and all deeps,
fire and hail, snow and frost, stormy wind fulfilling his command!
Mountains and all hills, fruit trees and all cedars!
Wild animals and all cattle, creeping things and flying birds!
Kings of the earth and all peoples, princes and all rulers of the earth!
Young men and women alike, old Lord young together!
Let them praise the name of the Lord, for his name alone is exalted; his glory is above earth and heaven. He has raised up a horn for his people, praise for all his faithful, for the people of Israel who are close to him. Praise the Lord!
Songs of Praise
Joy To The World
The First Noel
Welcome and Announcements
Invocation and Lighting of the Christmas Candle
The Peace of Christ
O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer’s praise, the glories of my God and King, the triumphs of God’s grace!
Jesus! the name that charms our fears, that bids our sorrows cease, ’tis music in the sinner’s ears, ’tis life and health and peace.
Response – We Give Thee But Thine Own
We give thee but thine own whate’er the gift may be
All that we have is thine alone, a trust oh Lord from thee. Amen.
Prayer of Thanks
Scripture Lesson 1
1 Samuel 2:18-20, 26
- Samuel was ministering before the Lord, a boy wearing a linen ephod.
- His mother used to make for him a little robe and take it to him each year, when she went up with her husband to offer the yearly sacrifice.
- Then Eli would bless Elkanah and his wife, and say, “May the Lord repay you with children by this woman for the gift that she made to the Lord”; and then they would return to their home.
- Now the boy Samuel continued to grow both in stature and in favor with the Lord and with the people.
Scripture Lesson 2
Colossians 3:12-17 – Selected and read by Deacon Jonathan J. Holley
- As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience.
- Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.
- Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
- And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful.
- Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God.
- And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
- Now every year his parents went to Jerusalem for the festival of the Passover.
- And when he was twelve years old, they went up as usual for the festival.
- When the festival was ended and they started to return, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it.
- Assuming that he was in the group of travelers, they went a day’s journey. Then they started to look for him among their relatives and friends.
- When they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem to search for him.
- After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions.
- And all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers.
- When his parents saw him they were astonished; and his mother said to him, “Child, why have you treated us like this? Look, your father and I have been searching for you in great anxiety.”
- He said to them, “Why were you searching for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?”
- But they did not understand what he said to them.
- Then he went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them. His mother treasured all these things in her heart.
- And Jesus increased in wisdom and in years, and in divine and human favor.
Sweet Child O’ Mine – Rev. Nicolas Mumejian
Hymn of Consecration
Go, Tell It On The Mountain
Sweet, Sweet Spirit
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
We will be live-streaming the service, and a recording of the service will be available on the website later for those who are not able to be here in person yet.
EVERYONE – Please go here to let us know that you were here today. You can also go here to sign up for the weekly email newsletter, or request contact from the pastor.
Wednesday, January 12 at 7:00 pm, we offer “Good Grief,” a grief share and support group that meets via Zoom monthly for those who are grieving to come, share, and encourage one another. In February, Good Grief will return to the first Wednesday of the month. Information for connecting via Zoom and telephone is available on the website under Online Community Services.
The Gay Mens’ Chorus of Washington’s youth chorus for LGBTQ+ and allied youth – GenOUT – will be accepting new members at its January 15 rehearsal. All young people ages 13-18 are welcome. No auditions are required; all that is needed are a love of singing and a desire to use your voice to promote social justice. Prospective singers may sign up online. Questions? Check out the FAQ or contact the director, Paul Heins.
Pray For: Laurel Eierman’s friend Kathy MacKenzie; Annie Clifford; Terri Battle and her mother, Claudia Green; Karl Maxwell’s brother, Kenneth Maxwell; Edward Harris’s mother, Ruth Harris; Edith Booker; Pamela Maimer’s sisters, Monica Thomas and Tonya Jefferson, and mother, Clara Jefferson; Lynda Gyles and family; Derek Ford and his sister, Misha Reed; Annie Abbott; Anthony Maimer’s sister, Davi Stuhlsatz; Denise Bennett’s sister, Dyanne Smith; Tanya Bethel’s mother, Ruby McCrary; Tanya Bethel; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Karl Maxwell; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe