Call to Worship
Praise the Lord! Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty firmament! Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his surpassing greatness! Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp!Psalm 150
Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe! Praise him with clanging cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals!
Let everything that breathes praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!
Songs of Praise
Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee
How Great Is Our God
Lord, Let My Heart Be Good Soil
Welcome and Announcements
The Peace of Christ
O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer’s praise, the glories of my God and King, the triumphs of God’s grace!
Jesus! the name that charms our fears, that bids our sorrows cease, ’tis music in the sinner’s ears, ’tis life and health and peace.
Response – We Give Thee But Thine Own
We give thee but thine own whate’er the gift may be
All that we have is thine alone, a trust oh Lord from thee. Amen.
Prayer of Thanks
Scripture Lesson 1
- When they had brought them, they had them stand before the council. The high priest questioned them,
- saying, “We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name, yet here you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and you are determined to bring this man’s blood on us.”
- But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than any human authority.
- The God of our ancestors raised up Jesus, whom you had killed by hanging him on a tree.
- God exalted him at his right hand as Leader and Savior that he might give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins.
- And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey him.”
Scripture Lesson 2
Psalm 118:14-29 – Selected and read by Deacon Lillie S. Ransom
- The Lord is my strength and my might;
he has become my salvation.
- There are glad songs of victory in the tents of the righteous:
“The right hand of the Lord does valiantly;
- the right hand of the Lord is exalted;
the right hand of the Lord does valiantly.”
- I shall not die, but I shall live,
and recount the deeds of the Lord.
- The Lord has punished me severely,
but he did not give me over to death.
- Open to me the gates of righteousness,
that I may enter through them
and give thanks to the Lord.
- This is the gate of the Lord;
the righteous shall enter through it.
- I thank you that you have answered me
and have become my salvation.
- The stone that the builders rejected
has become the chief cornerstone.
- This is the Lord’s doing;
it is marvelous in our eyes.
- This is the day that the Lord has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it.
- Save us, we beseech you, O Lord!
O Lord, we beseech you, give us success!
- Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.
We bless you from the house of the Lord.
- The Lord is God,
and he has given us light.
Bind the festal procession with branches,
up to the horns of the altar.
- You are my God, and I will give thanks to you;
you are my God, I will extol you.
- O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever.
Bless the Lord
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
- When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.”
- After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
- Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”
- When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.
- If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”
- But Thomas (who was called the Twin), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.
- So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said to them, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.”
- A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.”
- Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe.”
- Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”
- Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe.”
- Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book.
- But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.
Receive the Holy Spirit – Deacon Jonathan J. Holley
Hymn of Consecration
Marching in the Light of God
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
We will be live-streaming the service, and a recording of the service will be available on the website later for those who are not able to be here in person yet.
EVERYONE – Please go here to let us know that you were here today. You can also go here to sign up for the weekly email newsletter, or request contact from the pastor.
Out of concern for the safety of your neighbors we ask you to please continue wearing masks at all times, including during our times of praise and singing. We appreciate your cooperation.
Today we welcome to the pulpit Deacon Jonathan J. Holley, who is a member of the Riverside Baptist Church, and serves as outreach & missions coordinator, choir member, soloist and chaplain for the House of Garçon. He has a Diploma of Theology from the John Leland Seminary, and is preparing to enter a M.Div. program in the fall of 2022.
Riverside is accepting scholarship applications for the 2022-2023 academic year. Do you know someone who is a member of the Church or a child, grandchild or dependent of a member or a resident of Southwest DC who needs a scholarship for next year? The deadline for applications is May 15. Go to Riverside Baptist Church Scholarship Program on the Church website for more information and to start the application process.
Riverside will have a servanthood meeting following worship service on Sunday, June 5. Members, please plan to attend and participate in the life of your church.
Saturday, June 11, from 3:00 pm to 7:30 pm, Riverside Baptist Church and the Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptist, A.W.A.B., will walk in the 2022 Capital Pride Parade, Logan and Dupont Circle neighborhoods, Washington, DC. If you are interested in participating please contact Deacon Jonathan Holley.
Pray For: Freda White’s brother Alphonso H. Bowers, Jr., and the Bowers and White families; Terri Battle and her mother, Claudia Green; Karl Maxwell and his brother, Kenneth Maxwell; Edward Harris’s mother, Ruth Harris; Edith Booker; Annie Abbott; Tanya Bethel and her mother, Ruby McCrary; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Emma Wright’s sister Sallie Williams; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe