Call to Worship
God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:
“How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Selah
Give justice to the weak and the orphan; maintain the right of the lowly and the destitute.
Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”
They have neither knowledge nor understanding; they walk around in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
I say, “You are gods, children of the Most High, all of you;
nevertheless, you shall die like mortals and fall like any prince.”
Rise up, O God, judge the earth,Psalm 82
for all the nations belong to you!
Songs of Praise
Everybody Clap Your Hands
Just a Closer Walk with Thee
Fairest Lord Jesus
Welcome and Announcements
The Peace of Christ
O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer’s praise, the glories of my God and King, the triumphs of God’s grace!
Jesus! the name that charms our fears, that bids our sorrows cease, ’tis music in the sinner’s ears, ’tis life and health and peace.
Response – We Give Thee But Thine Own
We give thee but thine own whate’er the gift may be
All that we have is thine alone, a trust oh Lord from thee. Amen.
Prayer of Thanks
Scripture Lesson 1
- “I have come to cast fire upon the earth, and how I wish it were already ablaze!
- I have a baptism with which to be baptized, and what constraint I am under until it is completed!
- Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division!
- From now on five in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three;
- they will be divided:
father against son and son against father,
mother against daughter and daughter against mother,
mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”
- He also said to the crowds, “When you see a cloud rising in the west, you immediately say, ‘It is going to rain,’ and so it happens.
- And when you see the south wind blowing, you say, ‘There will be scorching heat,’ and it happens.
- You hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of earth and sky, but why do you not know how to interpret the present time?
Scripture Lesson 2
- By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as if it were dry land, but when the Egyptians attempted to do so they were drowned.
- By faith the walls of Jericho fell after they had been encircled for seven days.
- By faith Rahab the prostitute did not perish with those who were disobedient, because she had received the spies in peace.
- And what more should I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets,
- who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, obtained promises, shut the mouths of lions,
- quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight.
- Women received their dead by resurrection. Others were tortured, refusing to accept release, in order to obtain a better resurrection.
- Others suffered mocking and flogging and even chains and imprisonment.
- They were stoned to death; they were sawn in two; they were killed by the sword; they went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, persecuted, tormented—
- of whom the world was not worthy. They wandered in deserts and mountains and in caves and holes in the ground.
- Yet all these, though they were commended for their faith, did not receive what was promised,
- since God had provided something better so that they would not, apart from us, be made perfect.
- Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us,
- looking to Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
Song of Solomon 1:5a, 6a
- a. I am black and beautiful,
O daughters of Jerusalem,
- a. Do not gaze at me because I am dark,
because the sun has gazed on me.
Celebrating Black August, Faith and Wisdom – Rev. Dr. Angélique Walker-Smith
The Ordinance of Holy Communion
Hymn of Consecration
Marching in the Light of God
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
We will be live-streaming the service, and a recording of the service will be available on the website later for those who are not able to be here in person yet.
Visitors – Please go here to let us know you were with us today. This link will also allow you to request contact from the deacons and to add your contact information to our database.
Out of concern for the safety of your neighbors we ask you to please continue wearing masks at all times, including during our times of praise and singing. We appreciate your cooperation.
Today we welcome to the pulpit Rev. Dr. Angélique Walker-Smith, Senior Associate / Strategist for Pan African and Orthodox Faith Engagement for Bread for the World (USA) in Washington DC. She brings extensive global, national and local experience as a faith and public engagement thought leader, journalist, speaker, broadcaster, scholar, preacher and author. She also serves as Ecumenical Representative for the National Baptist Convention USA Inc. She is Associate Minister at the Historic Beulah Baptist Church in Alexandria, VA and Christ’s Open Door Baptist Church in Indianapolis, IN.
The 165th anniversary of the founding of Riverside Baptist Church, then called Island Baptist Church, was Tuesday, July 26, 2022. We will commemorate this anniversary later in the year. Today, a few pictures of various congregational groups over the years are on view in the atrium.
Westminster Presbyterian Church will host a community mental health fair on Saturday, August 20 . Please pick up a flyer in the atrium for more information.
International Overdose Awareness Day is Wednesday, August 31. There will be an event with information and networking opportunities at Westminster Presbyterian Church. Please pick up a flyer in the atrium for more information.
Pray For: Lynda Gyles’s aunt, Heidi DeVaugh; Freda White’s brother Alphonso H. Bowers, Jr., and the Bowers and White families; Terri Battle and her mother, Claudia Green; Karl Maxwell and his brother, Kenneth Maxwell; Edward Harris’s mother, Ruth Harris; Edith Booker; Annie Abbott; Tanya Bethel and her mother, Ruby McCrary; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe