Call to Worship
Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth.
Serve the Lord with gladness;
come into his presence with singing.
Know that the Lord is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise.
Give thanks to him; bless his name.
For the Lord is good;Psalm 100
his steadfast love endures forever
and his faithfulness to all generations.
Songs of Praise
This is the Day / I Will Enter God’s Gates
Great Is Thy Faithfulness
Welcome and Announcements
The Peace of Christ
O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer’s praise, the glories of my God and King, the triumphs of God’s grace!
Jesus! the name that charms our fears, that bids our sorrows cease, ’tis music in the sinner’s ears, ’tis life and health and peace.
Response – We Give Thee But Thine Own
We give thee but thine own whate’er the gift may be
All that we have is thine alone, a trust oh Lord from thee. Amen.
Prayer of Thanks
A Moment of Our History
Litany of Thanksgiving
Leader: We come together in celebration for the years that we have been together as the people of God, in praise and worship and service. Let us thank God for blessings received, for our foreparents whose vision led them to start a congregation in this place.
People: We give thanks, and we celebrate our ancestors who listened to the voice of God calling them to organize this congregation for God’s purpose.
Leader: For those who through the years, by their work and witness, demonstrated themselves to be the people of God.
People: We give thanks, and we celebrate the witnesses of God who have been and continue to be God’s hands and feet in this world.
Leader: For the many names we have gone by, for the many locations we’ve gathered in, for the many leaders who guided and cared for us and this community.
People: We give thanks to the God of change, and we celebrate the beauty of our evolution, which has been for the sake of God’s beloved community.
Leader: For the ministries that have flourished here, for the radical vision of inclusivity and diversity, and for the ways we continue to draw the circle of God’s love larger, centering the teachings of Jesus.
People: We give thanks, and we celebrate the unbroken and ever-widening circle of God’s love.
Leader: May God’s evolutionary spirit continue to inspire our church with courage, hope, and grace for many years to come.
People: We give thanks, we celebrate, and we shall run this race with revolutionary faith.
O God, Our Help In Ages Past
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
Psalm 146 – Selected and read by LeRoy Potts
- Praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord, O my soul!
- I will praise the Lord as long as I live;
I will sing praises to my God all my life long.
- Do not put your trust in princes,
in mortals, in whom there is no help.
- When their breath departs, they return to the earth;
on that very day their plans perish.
- Happy are those whose help is the God of Jacob,
whose hope is in the Lord their God,
- who made heaven and earth,
the sea, and all that is in them;
who keeps faith forever;
- who executes justice for the oppressed;
who gives food to the hungry.
The Lord sets the prisoners free;
- the Lord opens the eyes of the blind.
The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down;
the Lord loves the righteous.
- The Lord watches over the strangers;
he upholds the orphan and the widow,
but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin.
- The Lord will reign forever,
your God, O Zion, for all generations.
Praise the Lord!
- Moses set up the tabernacle; he laid its bases and set up its frames and put in its poles and raised up its pillars,
- and he spread the tent over the tabernacle and put the covering of the tent over it as the Lord had commanded Moses.
- He took the covenant and put it into the ark and put the poles on the ark and set the cover above the ark,
- and he brought the ark into the tabernacle and set up the curtain for screening and screened the ark of the covenant as the Lord had commanded Moses.
- He put the table in the tent of meeting, on the north side of the tabernacle, outside the curtain,
- and set the bread in order on it before the Lord as the Lord had commanded Moses.
- He put the lampstand in the tent of meeting, opposite the table on the south side of the tabernacle,
- and set up the lamps before the Lord as the Lord had commanded Moses.
- He put the golden altar in the tent of meeting before the curtain
- and offered fragrant incense on it as the Lord had commanded Moses.
- He also put in place the screen for the entrance of the tabernacle.
- He set the altar of burnt offering at the entrance of the tabernacle of the tent of meeting and offered on it the burnt offering and the grain offering as the Lord had commanded Moses.
- He set the basin between the tent of meeting and the altar and put water in it for washing,
- with which Moses and Aaron and his sons washed their hands and their feet.
- When they went into the tent of meeting and when they approached the altar, they washed as the Lord had commanded Moses.
- He set up the court around the tabernacle and the altar and put up the screen at the gate of the court. So Moses finished the work.
- Then the cloud covered the tent of meeting, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle.
- Moses was not able to enter the tent of meeting because the cloud settled upon it, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle.
- Whenever the cloud was taken up from the tabernacle, the Israelites would set out on each stage of their journey,
- but if the cloud was not taken up, then they did not set out until the day that it was taken up.
- For the cloud of the Lord was on the tabernacle by day, and fire was in the cloud by night, before the eyes of all the house of Israel at each stage of their journey.
A Church on the Move – Rev. Mia M. McClain
Hymn of Consecration
Where Christ Leads Me I Will Follow
In the Life of the Church
Welcome to Riverside Baptist Church, where our one law is love of God and neighbor. Justice and peace matter to us. So we celebrate racial diversity, gender equality, and inclusion of all persons no matter their sexual orientation. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. You’re included. Christ is the center here. No one more and nothing less.
We will be live-streaming the service, and a recording of the service will be available on the website later for those who are not able to be here in person yet.
Visitors – Please go here to let us know you were with us today. This link will also allow you to request contact from the deacons and to add your contact information to our database.
Out of concern for the safety of your neighbors we ask you to please continue wearing masks at all times, including during our times of praise and singing. We appreciate your cooperation.
Today, September 25, 2022, we commemorate the 165th anniversary of our founding with this special service and a celebratory reception in the Bob Nelson room after the service. There is a small exhibit of some of our historical documents and pictures in the atrium. On the table today are some items given by the congregation to the founding pastor and his family in 1897 at the celebration of our 40th anniversary.
Pray For: Lynda Gyles’s aunt, Heidi DeVaugh; Freda White’s brother Alphonso H. Bowers, Jr., and the Bowers and White families; Terri Battle and her mother, Claudia Green; Karl Maxwell and his brother, Kenneth Maxwell; Edward Harris’s mother, Ruth Harris; Edith Booker; Annie Abbott; Tanya Bethel and her mother, Ruby McCrary; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe