Call to Worship
If it had not been the Lord who was on our side
—let Israel now say—
if it had not been the Lord who was on our side,
when our enemies attacked us,
then they would have swallowed us up alive,
when their anger was kindled against us;
then the flood would have swept us away;
the torrent would have gone over us;
then over us would have gone
the raging waters.
Blessed be the Lord,
who has not given us
as prey to their teeth.
We have escaped like a bird
from the snare of the hunters;
the snare is broken,
and we have escaped.
Our help is in the name of the Lord,Psalm 124
who made heaven and earth.
Songs of Praise
Holy, Holy, Holy
How Great Is Our God
Welcome and Announcements
The Peace of Christ
O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer’s praise, the glories of my God and King, the triumphs of God’s grace!
Jesus! the name that charms our fears, that bids our sorrows cease, ’tis music in the sinner’s ears, ’tis life and health and peace.
Response – We Give Thee But Thine Own
We give thee but thine own whate’er the gift may be
All that we have is thine alone, a trust oh Lord from thee. Amen.
Prayer of Thanks
Isaiah 65:17-25 – Selected and read by Deacon LeRoy Potts
- For I am about to create new heavens
and a new earth;
the former things shall not be remembered
or come to mind.
- But be glad and rejoice forever
in what I am creating,
for I am about to create Jerusalem as a joy
and its people as a delight.
- I will rejoice in Jerusalem
and delight in my people;
no more shall the sound of weeping be heard in it
or the cry of distress.
- No more shall there be in it
an infant who lives but a few days
or an old person who does not live out a lifetime,
for one who dies at a hundred years will be considered a youth,
and one who falls short of a hundred will be considered accursed.
- They shall build houses and inhabit them;
they shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
- They shall not build and another inhabit;
they shall not plant and another eat,
for like the days of a tree shall the days of my people be,
and my chosen shall long enjoy the work of their hands.
- They shall not labor in vain
or bear children for calamity,
for they shall be offspring blessed by the Lord—
and their descendants as well.
- Before they call I will answer,
while they are yet speaking I will hear.
- The wolf and the lamb shall feed together;
the lion shall eat straw like the ox,
but the serpent—its food shall be dust!
They shall not hurt or destroy
on all my holy mountain,
says the Lord.
The Lord’s Prayer
Our God, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.
Hebrews 11:1-2, 20-24, 29-31, 39-40 and 12:1-2
- Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
- Indeed, by faith our ancestors received approval.
- By faith Isaac invoked blessings for the future on Jacob and Esau.
- By faith Jacob, when dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, “bowing in worship over the top of his staff.”
- By faith Joseph, at the end of his life, made mention of the exodus of the Israelites and gave instructions about his burial.
- By faith Moses was hidden by his parents for three months after his birth, because they saw that the child was beautiful, and they were not afraid of the king’s edict.
- By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called a son of Pharaoh’s daughter,
- By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as if it were dry land, but when the Egyptians attempted to do so they were drowned.
- By faith the walls of Jericho fell after they had been encircled for seven days.
- By faith Rahab the prostitute did not perish with those who were disobedient, because she had received the spies in peace.
- Yet all these, though they were commended for their faith, did not receive what was promised,
- since God had provided something better so that they would not, apart from us, be made perfect.
- Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us,
- looking to Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.
Surrounded – Rev. Mia M. McClain
The Ordinance of Holy Communion
Leader: This is a holy banquet of the people of God. All
people of all identities, from west to east and north to
south, gather where they are.
People: God will meet you here. Whoever you are and
wherever you are on our journey, the table is for you.
Leader: As we gather at this table, help us know God’s
wondrous presence in the sacrament of life.
People: God will meet me here. Whatever I bring, even
if it’s only myself, the table is for me.
Leader: Let this moment turn our worship into witness. Let
it open eyes and burn hearts, expanding the beloved and
People: God will meet us here. Whoever we are,
whatever we bring, the table is for us.
Sharing of the Meal
Sweet, Sweet Spirit
In the Life of the Church
At Riverside Baptist Church, our one law is love of God and neighbor. In this diverse community, we celebrate all identities, orientations, gender equality, and racial diversity. We draw the circle of God’s love large here. Whoever you are and wherever you are on the journey, you are included.
If you’d like to receive our weekly email newsletter, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will be live-streaming the service. A recording of the service will be available on the website later for those who are not able to be here in person.
Visitors – Please go here to let us know you were with us today. This link will also allow you to request contact from the deacons and to add your contact information to our database. If you’d like to receive our weekly email newsletter, please email email@example.com.
Out of concern for the safety of your neighbors we ask you to please continue wearing masks at all times, including during our times of praise and singing. We appreciate your cooperation.
Pray For: Terryn Nelson and her sister, Rachelle Nelson, niece and nephew Cecilly and Hasaan, and family friend Robert Napson; Lynda Gyles’s aunt, Heidi DeVaugh; Freda White’s brother Alphonso H. Bowers, Jr., and the Bowers and White families; Terri Battle and her mother, Claudia Green; Karl Maxwell and his brother, Kenneth Maxwell; Edward Harris’s mother, Ruth Harris; Edith Booker; Annie Abbott; Tanya Bethel and her mother, Ruby McCrary; Gale Miller’s mother, Marian Miller; Lillie Ransom’s sister Teriea and her husband, Jerry; Sheba Greene’s daughter Donna; Dr. Bledsoe’s mother, Peggy Bledsoe