Riverside Baptist Church is currently searching for an interim pastor to assist with the transition from the church’s retiring pastor at the end of this year. The following is a description of the duties, This description can also be downloaded as a PDF here.
To apply, qualified candidates should send their resume and cover letter to: RSBC@Riversidedc.org.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Interim Pastor will be responsible for leading the church until a lead Pastor is identified and hired. The Interim Pastor will not be considered as a candidate for the lead role. S/He will focus on
part-time transitional ministry. The position is temporary, estimated to be 4 to 12 months in duration .
S/He will lead the congregation, the organizations, and the church staff in performing their tasks. In this role, s/he will provide the congregation and both its boards, the Board of Deacons and the Board of Trustees, with objective Christian advice, counsel, and leadership.
Concern for the spiritual, emotional and physical well-being of individual church members will be the provenance of the Interim Pastor. S/He shall preach in the house of worship on the Lord’s Day and administer the ordinances of the Lord’s Supper and Baptism. The Interim Pastor is to serve as ex-officio member of all committees, boards and ministries, except for the committee charged with finding the new full-time pastor for Riverside. The Interim Pastor will perform various other duties pertaining to the
office of pastor as necessary.
Duties shall be executed in keeping with the CONSTITUTION of the RIVERSIDE BAPTIST CHURCH, as revised on September 30, 2018. In addition, S/He shall proactively affiliate locally with the District of
Columbia Baptist Convention and nationally with the Alliance of Baptists first and foremost and as warranted with the American Baptist Churches, USA.
The Interim Pastor will also ensure Riverside functions as a New Testament church as understood through historic Baptist principles such as autonomy of the local church, the priesthood of believers and soul freedom.
CLARIFICATION OF DUTIES
- Part-time, 20-30 hours per week. Required to work on-site each Sunday, beginning at 8:30 am.
- Preach on Sunday, administer the sacraments and participate in weekly church fellowship.
- Perform weddings and funerals as needed.
- Visit the sick and shut-in as needed.
- Counsel church and staff members as needed.
- Represent the church to the local community as well as the District of Columbia Baptist Convention, the Alliance of Baptists and the American Baptist Churches, USA.
- Seminary educated and trained, having earned at least a Master of Divinity degree or its equivalent. Thorough understanding of the Bible. Ability to interpret, clarify, explain and apply scripture.
- Ordained as a Baptist preferably through one of the national affiliations with which the church is associated. Other affiliations may be considered provided the Interim Pastor has had a course in Baptist polity and covenants to pastor the Church within a Baptist framework of polity and theology.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Able to communicate with clarity and compassion. Patient and encouraging with church members, visitors and those exploring their spiritual beliefs.
- Reliable, trustworthy and spiritually mature. Proven ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience preaching the gospel. Ability to generate and deliver engaging sermons each Sunday.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience preaching on holy days, such as Easter and Christmas.
- Previous experience administering the ordinances of the Lord’s supper, Baptism, Weddings, Funerals and Last Rights.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience counseling church and staff members and acting as ex-officio member of church committees or boards.
- Prior experience serving in a lead role within an established church.
- Experience as an Interim Pastor.
- Familiar with the Washington, D.C. religious community.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience acting as an On-call Pastor, responding to the needs of the church and its members 24/7/365.
- Previous experience guiding and leading the spiritual development of church members (e.g. leading bible study).
- Previous experience representing a church to the local community or leading an outreach ministry.
- Demonstrated ability to grow spiritual communities.