Riverside Baptist Church is committed to serving the young people of the Church and the Southwest DC community and as part of that commitment has established a Scholarship Program to provide opportunities for qualified students pursuing an undergraduate degree.
To apply for a scholarship for the 2024-2025 academic year, stay tuned. Applications should open in February 2024.
Who is eligible to apply?
Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a member of the Riverside Baptist Church, or a child, grandchild or dependent of a member of the Riverside Baptist Church, or a Southwest DC resident;
- Be a graduating high school senior or high school graduate;
- Have a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher;
- Have provided service to their congregation and/or community;
- Be accepted to an accredited college or postsecondary education institution for a full-time undergraduate degree program; and
- Need financial assistance.
How to Apply?
Applicants must provide information about their academic performance, goals and challenges to the Scholarship committee. This is done by completing the following four steps.
1. Application Form
The applicant will need to complete an online application, being sure to complete all required fields including reference information and the three essays.
The applicant will be asked to answer the three essay questions below. The answers to each essay question should be limited to no more than 300 words.
- Please tell us about yourself and your family and your goals for your post-secondary education, such as intended major and your career aspirations and why you should be a recipient of a scholarship.
- Please tell us about any involvement with Riverside Baptist Church or another congregation and any community service activities and how they shape who you are today. Also tell us how you hope to contribute to your congregation and the Southwest DC community in the future.
- Please tell us how you plan to finance your post-secondary education. Also, please tell us about any special qualities, background information or unusual circumstances you would like the Committee to consider regarding your application.
The applicant will need to identify three references in the application and ask them to provide letters of recommendation. At least one of the references should be the applicant’s high school counselor or teacher. Letters of recommendation will be emailed directly to the Scholarship Committee by the application deadline.
The applicant should have their high school or secondary institution send the applicant’s transcript by email to the Scholarship Committee by the application deadline.
The Scholarship Committee of Riverside Baptist Church will determine the number and amount of the scholarships; scholarship awards may range from $1,500 to $5,000. Scholarship(s) will be awarded for one academic year and may be renewed.
Please direct questions to .